Background

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Grilled Steak and Potato Salad

So.
I love making dinner salads.  You know, the ones where you sit down and you can pretend that you're being healthy as the plate has a base of greens.  Actually, there are a couple of salads in Looneyspoons that are that healthy, I just haven't made them yet; other than the fajita salad, which is excellent.
On my way home from Quebec, I wanted a couple of magazines to zone out with on the bus.  While most people would buy People, or US, or something like that, I opted for Canadian Living and Chatelaine.  Frankly, Chatelaine was a bust.  I didn't find the articles appealing nor the recipes worth it.  The Canadian Living, however, was another story.
My mother has had a subscription to Canadian Living for a long time.  I haven't made a lot of their recipes, but those I have made are usually pretty good.  When I saw this salad, I thought it sounded delicious too.
I was right.  And it was perfect for a warm summer night.  Frankly, it would be good on a cool summer night too.  I present to you now from the June 2013 issue of Canadian Living the Grilled Steak and Potato Salad:


Ingredients:
Salad
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp each Paprika and Oregano
Salt and Pepper to taste
About 8-12 New Potatoes
250 g Flank Steak
4 cups Mixed Greens
1/2 a Red Onion, cut into rings
1 c Grape Tomatoes, halved
2 oz Blue Cheese, crumbled

Vinaigrette
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
1 tsp Grainy Dijon Mustard

Method:
1.  Stir together oil, paprika, oregano, salt and pepper.  Scrub and halve the new potatoes.  Toss to coat  with half the paprika mixture.  Roast for 30 minutes at 400 F in an ovenproof dish until golden and crispy.
2.  Rub the steak with the other half of the paprika mixture.  Grill steak to medium rare, and set aside for at least 5 minutes before slicing thinly across the grain.
3.  Whisk the ingredients for the vinaigrette together in a large bowl.
4.  Build the salad:  Add the greens and tomatoes to the vinaigrette and toss to coat.  Divide between the 2 plates.  Sprinkle with the onion rings, potatoes, steak and blue cheese.
Adapted from Canadian Living, June 2013

The original recipe grilled the potatoes on skewers.  I decided that was hard.  So I roasted them in the oven the same way I would in the winter.  They crisped up nicely.  Halving the potatoes means the time they take to cook isn't that long, and you can do everything else while they roast.
Here's the salad half built.  It would be good to eat just like this.  But wait...there's more!
Here's the final product.  So good.  We ate it with garlic bread.  While it is a summer salad, it would be good in winter too.  That's what indoor grills are for!

No comments:

Post a Comment