Background

Monday, August 12, 2013

Brunch: Ham and Potato Frittata

So.
Being home for the summer, I need to make lunch everyday.  Who thought that was going to happen?  I'd like to be going more meatless, but we do what we can.
While browsing, I read Beth over at Budget Bytes and she'd made a frittata.  Now we all know how well I do with baking eggs, but this looked easy, filling, and simple.  I used her ingredients, but tweaked things slightly to make less.  J and I got 2 meals out of this.  With a salad, it was a perfect lunch.
I present to you now, as inspired by Beth and her yummy things, the Ham and Potato Frittata:


Ingredients:
1 Tbsp oil
Salt & Pepper
1 lb New Potatoes
3 Green Onions, chopped
50 g shaved Black Forest Ham, chopped
6 eggs
1/3 c milk
1/4 c Parmesan cheese

Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 F.  Slice potatoes into thin, even slices.  Heat oil in an oven-proof skillet, and season well with salt and pepper.  Add potatoes when hot.  Cook potatoes, stirring occasionally, but allowing a crust to develop.
2.  Chop onions and ham, adding it to the skillet as you finish chopping.
3.  Whisk together milk, eggs and cheese, adding to skillet when the potatoes are tender. 
4.  Transfer skillet to the oven, baking for about 20 minutes, or until the frittata is golden in colour and set in the middle.  Let stand 5 minutes before slicing to serve.

Adapted from Budget Bytes

So this seemed like a TON of potatoes.  I know by the time I was done slicing, I was glad I was done.  I'm thinking I didn't use a big enough skillet for the full recipe.  It's just as well I decided to downscale a bit before I started.
This smelled lovely.  I didn't stir things much...I was going for a good crust on the bottom.  I'm not sure I really achieved it, but it didn't matter.
Ready for the oven!  You want a little space.  It will puff up.
I *may* have left this in a little long.  But it didn't affect the flavour at all.
See what I said about looking nice with a salad?  I think next time, I'd add shredded cheese other than parmesan.  Maybe Gruyere, or aged cheddar.  But YUM.  J liked it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment