Background

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Meatball Week: Mini Meatball Pizza

So.
made mini meatballs and then had to do something with them.  Luckily, Martha came through and gave options!  Here is option number 1:  Pizza.
I've eaten an awful lot of pizza over the years.  One of my original purchases from Pampered Chef was a pizza stone.  With my bread machine, crispy, thick-crusted pizza is only an hour and a bit away.  I've played with ingredients over the years including cheeses, sauces and toppings.  Unfortunately, I'd never mastered thin crust pizza.
There's a restaurant here in town with wood-fired ovens that is wickedly reminiscent of Europe.  The food is delicious.  The tablecloths are plastic.  The flowers are silk and crazy.  But the pizza....ohhhhhhhh.  This reminds me a little of that.
Great.  Now I want wine and fresh pasta.  Perhaps later.
Now, I present to you from Everyday Food March 2005 Meatball Pizzas:


Ingredients:
2 Whole Wheat Pita breads (6-inch size)
1 c shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 c thinly sliced red onion
6 slices plum tomato
8 frozen mini meatballs

Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 400F.
2.  On a baking sheet, place the pitas and divide cheese, onion and tomato equally.  Top with meatballs, pressing them into the toppings.
3.  Bake until meatballs are cooked through and cheese is melted, about 20 minutes.  Serve immediately.
From Everyday Food, March 2005

There's no sauce on these pizzas.  They go togther quickly, though.  I couldn't find plum tomatoes in March, so I bought a good looking greenhouse tomato, seeded it, and cut it into chunks.  After cooking, it was delicious.
 Here is a pizza coming out of the oven.  I used my homemade pitas for these.  I would always recommend homemade pita.  They're so much better than the storebrand - fresher and tastier.
The crust on this was crispy.  I found one was quite enough for a lunch.  it was also a nice way to use the meatballs - a little different and a lot tasty.  J told me we can have these again.  I agree.  If we don't use the meatballs another way.  Stay tuned for Friday!

1 comment:

  1. Those are cute! We used some Target branded super thin crust last week to make pizza and that was great, but I do love to use tortillas or pitas too.

    ReplyDelete