Background

Monday, March 25, 2013

Magazine Challenge: Mini Meatballs

So.
I'm always on the lookout for new recipes that are tasty and easy.  Things I can pull out of the freezer are even better.  When I saw the addition of bacon to what is an already a food J and I enjoy, how could you go wrong?
Beyond that, Everyday Food offered suggestions for how to use these meatballs beyond the usual pasta and tomato sauce.  Sunday afternoon, I whipped up a batch of these meatballs and froze them, raw, in baking tins in my freezer.  I then dropped the meatballs into a Ziploc container and left them in the kitchen freezer.  There's less than half a container left.
Today, we feature the making of the meatballs.  Over the next few days, I'll show you how I used the meatballs for things that aren't spaghetti and meatballs.
I present to you now Everyday Food's March 2005 Mini Meatballs:


Ingredients:
1 lb lean ground beef
2 slices bacon, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp bread crumbs
1 large egg
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
salt and pepper

Method:
1.  Combine all ingredients with your hands.  Using 2 scoops of a teaspoon, form meatballs between your palms.
2.  Place the meatballs in a single layer on a baking tray.  Freeze for one hour, until firm.  Transfer to an airtight container.
3.  To use the meatballs straight from the freezer, Place meatballs on a baking tray and bake at 400F for 15 minutes, or until cooked through.
 From Everday Food, March 2005

So I don't have process pictures.  Small wonder when I was rolling meatballs.  But here are the ones I kept out for the first recipe, which will post Wednesday and was delicious.  2 tsp made for a bite-sized meatball that kept us happy with the addition of 4 or 5 to each serving.  The recipe said the yield was 40, but I got 45.  Enough for a few recipes, and that's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment