Background

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Winter Meal: Chicken Arrabbiata

So.
Sooner or later it's going to warm up here.  I don't know when, but sooner or later.  The snow has been piling up around here and I have been wishing there was time to hibernate.  Unfortunately, that isn't going to happen anytime soon.  There is about a foot of snow sitting on the tarp'd patio table, and about 6 inches on the hot tub.  We've left it as insulation, seeing as it's been too windy and way too cold to consider being out in the tub.  Sigh.  I love hot tubbing in winter.
But I digress.
Winter calls for heavy food with lots of garlic and melted cheese.  When I saw this, I knew it would be a tasty meal for J and I on a cold night.  Once again, Budget Bytes gave us a meal that J told me I could make again if I wanted.  It's just as well he did.  I could only get 30 oz cans of tomato, and I overbought the chicken because it was on sale. 
I suggest you make this too.  You won't be disappointed.
I present to you now Budget Bytes' Chicken Arrabbiata:


Ingredients:
4 Bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
2 Tbsp oil
Pinch of salt and pepper
1/3 c flour
4 cloves garlic, minced
1-15 oz can diced tomatoes
1-15 oz can crushed tomatoes
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (we like the burn, so judge accordingly)
1/2 c chicken broth
12 oz cooked pasta (I used whole wheat rotini)

Method:
1.  Mix salt and pepper into the flour, and use to dredge the chicken pieces.  Heat oil in a large skillet, and when hot, add chicken.  Brown chicken on both sides for about 5-7 minutes per side.  Remove chicken from pan.
2.  Add garlic and stir continuously to keep from burning.  Pour in chicken broth to deglaze pan before adding tomatoes and spices.  When the sauce begins to bubble, nestle chicken in sauce and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.  Turn chicken halfway through to evenly cook.
3.  Serve chicken over cooked pasta with a spoonful of sauce.  Garnish with Parmesan cheese, if desired.

From Budget Bytes

 I mixed the extra diced and crushed tomatoes and froze them for use later in sauce.  The chicken I dredged dry - you could dip it in milk if you really wanted.
I haven't fried chicken in a long time, but this looked nice and crispy on the outside when I took it out of the pan to make the sauce. 
 
I added the garlic, and it turned golden almost immediately, so I poured in the broth.  I then incorporated the tomatoes and spices.
Then I left things to simmer and make a mess of the top of my stove.
When I turned the chicken, I started the water for pasta.  This was spicy and filling.  Perfect for a cold night with some red wine and garlic bread.  And leftovers for tomorrow too.  How perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment