Background

Friday, April 26, 2013

So Delicious: Chicken Parmesan Meatball Sandwiches

So.
I think I need a new hashtag to add to a bunch of my recipes.  That would be #alljessersfault.
I follow her on Pinterest, and I seem to pin a whole lot of yum that she finds.  This would be yet another one of those recipes.  I'm not asking her to stop, because those pins are so good.  I'm just thinking that maybe I need to back away from the computer more often.  I'm never going to catch up with all the pins that I have.
This also continues the meatball theme that I seem to be building upon.  J and I seem to be eating a whole lot of them right now, and they're always good.  I have difficulty finding ground chicken at the store, so once again I ground my own with the handy Spong meat grinder. And, I used a zucchini.  it was quite the afternoon.
Meat grinders, sneaky vegetables, and peer pressure.  And you thought you were just showing up to see my dinner.  I present to you now Iowa Girl Eats' Chicken Parmesan Meatball Sandwiches:


Ingredients:
1 small zucchini, finely grated
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb lean ground chicken, or 2 chicken breasts ground on medium
1/2 c breadcrumbs
1/3 c grated parmesan cheese
1 egg
1/2 tsp dried basil
Salt and pepper to taste
4 sub or hoagie rolls, split
4 slices cheese (I used cheddar, but provolone would be traditional)
8 Tbsp prepared pasta sauce, warmed

Method:
1.  Line a baking sheet with foil, or use a non-stick pan.  Preheat oven to 400F. 
2.  Combine all ingredients from zucchini through salt and pepper.  Combine with hands until everything is well incorporated.  Divide the mixture into 4, and then each quarter into quarters to form meatballs.  The mixture is very sticky.  Drop the meatballs on the prepared rimmed baking sheet, and bake 18-20 minutes until cooked through.
3.  When the meatballs are cooked, turn the broiler on and arrange the upper rack on the second from the top .  Split rolls and place 4 on the bottom of each roll..  Top with 2 Tbsp of pasta sauce and 1 slice of cheese.  Broil until the cheese is melted and bubbly before topping with the rest of the roll to serve.
From Iowa Girl Eats
 
Sneaky zucchini.  I used the fine side of my box grater, and wished that one day I would have my own Cuisinart. 
The meatballs were *really* sticky.  I decided that flat bottoms would be a plus so that the meatballs would stay in place on their rolls.  Four fit perfectly on the rolls I chose at the store.
I used natural cheddar, which we keep as a staple in slices in my fridge.The broiler did all good things to our sandwiches.  We also made only 2 at a time - one for each of us.  They're surprisingly filling.
But the fact that they were delicious wasn't at all surprising.  Jesser's pins haven't steered me wrong yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment