Background

Monday, April 8, 2013

Magazine Challenge: Buttermilk-Garlic Biscuits

So.
This officially marks 6 recipes from the Jan/Feb issue of Everyday Food 2005.  I'm going to say that I've done what I need to with this issue.  While I do want to make the other 6 things from there that I found, I've officially made 6 things.  This would even be a high note to go out on.
When we made chili at our house, we use a kit.  I KNOW!  But it's just the spices, and it's really good.  It's also one of the few culinary things that J brought to our relationship.  So, for those of you looking for a wicked easy way to make chili, and who are going to the US, might I suggest dropping by a Kroger for your own box or 12 (don't judge) of WIck Fowler 2 Alarm Chili?  It's got a good burn to it, and it's easy.
I often make cornbread from my Holly Hobby Cookbook to go with the chili.  Sometimes, I made rolls, or pull them out of my freezer.  But this time, with a partial quart of buttermilk in the fridge, I turned to Martha and a recipe that I'd seen a while ago.
I present to you now from EDF 2005 Jan/Feb, Buttermilk-Garlic Biscuits:


Ingredients:
2 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp herb and garlic spice mix
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
4 Tbsp cold butter, cut into pieces
1 c buttermilk, plus 1 Tbsp more if needed

Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 425F.  In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients.  Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
2.  Mix in buttermilk until a sticky ball of dough forms.  Add up to another tablespoon of buttermilk to the dough if needed.
3.  Divide dough into 8 portions and drop on a nonstick baking sheet.
4.  Bake until golden, about 15-20 minutes.  Let cool slightly, and serve warm.
Adapted from Everyday Food Jan/Feb 2005

I know what you're thinking:  Where's the baking powder?  Well, frankly, I forgot to put it in.  While I was measuring dry ingredients, I thought, "That's weird.  There should be baking powder."  I reread the recipe, completely missed it, and didn't put in the 1 tbsp called for.  I also used a garlic-herb mix that I keep on hand instead of thyme.  I thought it would suit the meal better, and it was nice.  I'm sure the original spice would have been good too.
As opposed to measuring out the dough by third cup measure, I divided the ball in 2, and then each half in half, and then in half again.  I dropped the eighths on the baking sheet and put it in the oven.  They were large, but looked good.
I left my biscuits in 20 minutes.  I should have checked them at 15.  They were crispy on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside.  I don't know how 1/2 a teaspoon of baking soda could do that, but there you have it.  My only comment to J was that I had a feeling that they would go stale fast.  We ate 2 each the first night, and saved 4 for the next day with leftover chili.
See?  Doesn't that look good?  Chili with shredded cheddar and sour cream.  With biscuits for dipping.  Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment