Background

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Bride of Magazine Challenge: Mocha Tartufo

So.
J and I enjoy having people in for a meal.  We keeps saying we're going to do it more, and just don't seem to find the time.  My parents had people in regularly when I was younger, and my mom still does.  Perhaps it's because she's retired, maybe it's that her friends don't have kids at home and so they're more free, or maybe it's that they often have people over more often, but I wish there was time for more slow meals with friends that include a lot of good food, laughter and good memories. 
We had friends over this past weekend.  More accurately, we had a friend and his new fiancee over this past weekend.  I made a simple meal from the March 2006 edition of Everyday Food that included this dessert.
I love ice cream.  Even when it's ridiculously cold outside.  This combined many of my favourite things: coffee, ice cream and chocolate.  How could that possibly be wrong?
I present to you now from the March 2006 issue of Everyday Food, Mocha Tartufo:


Ingredients:
2 L coffee ice cream
24 chocolate-covered espresso beans
1 pkg chocolate wafer cookies

Method:
1.  Line a rimmed baking sheet with plastic wrap, and create a space big enough in your freezer to lay it flat.
2.  Using an ice cream scoop, begin to form a ball of ice cream.  Press 2 espresso beans into the centre of the ball.  Complete the ball of ice cream (you may need to use a spoon to help), sealing the beans inside.  Transfer the ball to the baking sheet.  Make 12 balls of ice cream on the baking sheet.  Freeze until hardened, 2 to 3 hours.
3.  Crush the chocolate wafers in a gallon zip top bag.  Pour into a shallow bowl.  Remove ice cream from the freezer and let stand 2 or 3 minutes, so that the balls begin to soften.  Roll each ball of ice cream in the crumbs, pressing to coat.  Place balls back on baking sheet, and put back in freezer, freezing for at least 2 hours before serving.
From Everyday Food, March 2006
I couldn't find coffee or ice cream.  I could only find 96% fat free cappuccino frozen yogurt.  I've used Chapman's frozen yogurt before for the Butter Pecan Pie.  It's delicious.  No one would be able to tell it's yogurt...or fat free.  I also had a container of espresso beans in the cupboard.  This made for a pretty easy dessert.
I would start a ball of ice cream, add the two beans, then complete the ball and use a spoon to tuck it in and make it look pretty.  I was very thankful for the redesign of the kitchen today while I did this - there would have been no counter space near the fridge in the old kitchen.  I worked right across from the fridge today on the counter and turned to open the freezer and set the next ball of ice cream on the baking tray.
Really, there were way more crumbs than I needed.  I also crushed the cookies roughly, so the pieces were larger.  I would transfer one ball into the bowl with a spoon, then spoon crumbs over it and press them in before turning on one side and the other to do the same thing.  Then back in the freezer.
Not as labour intensive as they appear, but equally as yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment