Background

Monday, November 18, 2013

Takeout at Home: Sesame Chicken

So.
I wouldn't say that I love Chinese food, but I do enjoy it.  Based on the things that you can find in my pantry like sesame oil, soy sauce, and rice wine vinegar, we do eat a good deal of flavours from that part of the world.
One day, while roaming and drooling on Pinterest, I pinned yet another recipe from Budget Bytes.  As always, it was easy, quick and tasty.  It's also become a part of our regular rotation when I'm not making new things.  I present to you now Budget Bytes' Easy Sesame Chicken:


Ingredients:
1 Egg
2 Tbsp Cornstarch
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp water
1/2 Tbsp sesame oil
1-1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
1-1/2 Tbsp seasoned rice wine vinegar
1" fresh ginger, grated
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp sesame seeds
2 sliced green onions

Method:
1.  In a large bowl, whisk together the first amount of cornstarch and the egg.  Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and add to the bowl, tossing well to cover with the cornstarch mixture.
2.  Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet until very hot.  Add the entire contents of the chicken bowl and cook, stirring infrequently to develop a crust on the chicken.  Cook until done, about 8-10 minutes.
3.  While the chicken is cooking, prepare the sauce.  Combine all remaining ingredients, other than the onions. 
4.  When the chicken is cooked and golden brown, add the sauce to the pan and toss quickly.  The sauce thickens, so toss and remove from heat as soon as the chicken is coated.
5.  Serve over hot steamed rice, sprinkling with sliced green onions.
From Budget Bytes

I made my sauce early, because I didn't know how long exactly I'd have when the chicken was cooked.  The measuring sup made it easy to add.  I also liked the breading with an egg and cornstarch.  It went together fast.
Golden and yummy.  I'm not sure if it more cooked around the chicken as on it.
But the final result was a keeper.  So good.  Good as leftovers too.

No comments:

Post a Comment