I didn't make a cake for J's birthday this year. Both his birthday and mine fell on Fridays that we were on the road for football.
I decided that it was easier to make some cupcakes than a whole cake that we'd then have to eat. When I saw this recipe on Pinterest, I knew I wanted to give it a try. Dense chocolate and chocolate glaze that had the potential to taste like a Tim Horton's Double Chocolate donut?
You bet I was in.
I present to you now Crunchy, Creamy, Sweet's Glazed Chocolate Donut Muffins:
For the Donuts:From Crunchy, Creamy, Sweet
1/2 c oil
1/2 c white sugar
1/3 c brown sugar
2 c flour
2/3 c cocoa
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 c milk
For the Glaze:
1/4 c butter
1/4 c milk
3 Tbsp cocoa
1 Tbsp corn syrup
2 c icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
For the muffins:
1. Line 12 muffin tins. Preheat oven to 425F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients to combine. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine sugars and oil. Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes.
3. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well each time. Add vanilla.
4. With mixer on low, alternately add flour and milk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Do not overmix.
5. Fill liners 3/4 full and bake 15-18 minutes at 425F. Cool completely before glazing.
For the glaze:
1. In a medium saucepan, cook butter, milk, cocoa, and syrup until it boils. Remove from heat and add icing sugar. Beat until smooth. Add vanilla and beat again.
2. Dip each muffin in the glaze before setting on a cooling rack over a baking sheet to collect drips.