Background

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Magazine Challenge: Brussel Sprouts with Bacon and Apple

So.
I post this today in honour of American Thanksgiving.  I made these for Canadian Thanksgiving in October, and they were well received.  I was serving enough things that J would be skeptical about that I decided to cook a vegetable that he likes and I'm not quite so sure about.  Brussel sprouts.
I have to admit, if I'm not sure about a vegetable, the best thing to do is roast it.  The only people who were skeptical about these were my friend's 2 girls.  But they're often skeptical about what I cook when their family comes for dinner.
While there's no time to make them for Thanksgiving this year, there's always Christmas.  Or Tuesday.
I present to you now from the November 2005 issue of Everyday Food Brussel Sprouts with Bacon and Apple:


Ingredients:
3 slices bacon, cut into 0.5" pieces
4 pints Brussel sprouts, trimmed and halved
salt and pepper for seasoning
1 apple, cored and cut into slices that are cut in half crossways
2 tsp red-wine vinegar

Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 400F.  Arrange bacon in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet.  Bake until browned, about 10 minutes.  Add brussel sprouts and roast until tender and beginning to brown, about 15 minutes.
2.  Toss with the apple, and return to the oven for 10-15 minutes, until apple is tender.  You can stop at this stage and store at room temperature for up to 4 hours.  I did this. 
3.  Reheat vegetables in a 350F oven, covered, until hot.  Toss with vinegar before serving.
From Everyday Food, November 2005

Here are the brussel sprouts just going into the oven.  I think I overcooked them a bit.  But at the end, I don't think it mattered.  The flavour was still good.  Then again, everything is better with bacon.
The red skin of the apple was a nice contrast.  I used a MacIntosh apple, which is a good generic apple for this kind of thing.  I think a tart apple like a Northern Spy would be good too, but something tart.  To go with the vinegar.
To my American friends, Happy Thanksgiving.  I wish you good food, good conversation, and a slow meal to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment