Background

Thursday, June 6, 2013

A Bowlful of Deliciousness: Southwestern Breakfast Scramble (The Pintertest Kitchen)

So.
There is no question that J and I love Mexican food.  I've never really strayed out of the dinner realm before, but ohhhhhhhhh.  I read this on Budget Bytes, pinned it immediately, and thought, "how could this possibly be bad?  But...TORTILLA CHIPS??"
I don't know why I question Beth's recipes.  They work, they're easy, and they're freaking tasty.  Once again, I pinned a winner from one of my favourite places to draw inspiration from on the web.
Here's the pin:
From Budget Bytes, I present to you the Southwest Breakfast Scramble:


Ingredients:
6 eggs
6 Tbsp milk
2 Tbsp butter
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
3 c tortilla chips
1 c salsa
1 c shredded cheese
4 green onions, chopped

Method:
1.  Beat eggs and milk in a large bowl.  Melt butter over medium heat in a large frying pan with a lid.  Add egg mixture, and cook slowly over medium heat, stirring as curds begin to form.
2.  When eggs are about 3/4 set, add drained beans and tortilla chips to the frying pan.  Pour salsa over the top, and sprinkle with shredded cheese. 
3.  Cover and cook, allowing everything to heat through and the cheese to partially melt.  Let cook about 5 minutes.  Gently fold the mixture to incorporate salsa and cheese.  Sprinkle with green onions and serve.
From Budget Bytes

I know what you're thinking.  Tortilla chips?  Totally.  Here's the point where I thought I'd lost my mind, and perhaps I should have made something else for brunch on my day off.  Good thing I kept going.
The finished product.  Not that I was any more convinced by what it looked like.  But it smelled good, and J and I were hungry.  Plus, I had pulled a chip from the pan and sampled.  It was yummy.  Don't tell J.
The quasi arty pictures show the yummyness of this.  The chips that ended up down in the eggs softened and mixed with the buttery scrambled eggs.  The salsa set the whole dish off.  So good.
So good that J had 2 bowls.  I ate the rest for lunch the next day, when it still was amazing.  Easy, yummy, filling.  How can you go wrong?










Today, I'm Keeping Up with the Johnsons in the Pintertest Kitchen!  You totally should too!!


4 comments:

  1. oh. my. goodness.
    i'm gonna have to give this goodness a shot!
    thanks for giving it a try.
    and causing me to salivate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks amazing! I would have been nervous about the tortilla chips getting soggy, but it sounds like that wasn't a problem! I'll have to give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, yeah, I need to try this immediately. I can live on Mexican food but have yet to find anything successful to eat for breakfast. Thank you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love freaking tasty. This looks DELISH. I can't wait to try!! Thanks for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete