Background

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Pinned: Garlic Parmesan Roasted Brussel Sprouts

So.
I feel like vegetables much like J feels about fruit.  I like a few specific things, and I'm not adventurous.  Most weeks, I buy broccoli in the winter.  In the spring, we eat a lot of roasted asparagus.  If I had my way, we'd eat mostly frozen corn and green beans with a few frozen green peas for variety.
J likes all vegetables - he'll eat any I put on his plate other than squash and sweet potatoes.  So this week when we went to the grocery store, brussel sprouts were on sale.  For whatever reason, I have been pinning brussel sprout recipes.  I decided to see whether or not I liked them.
I present to you now Joy in the Jumble's Garlic Parmesan Roasted Brussel Sprouts:


Ingredients
1 - 1 1/2 Pounds Brussel Sprouts
5 cloves Garlic,  minced
1/4+ cup Parmesan Cheese, freshly grated 
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Method
1.  Preheat oven to 400F
2. Cut off the bottom of each sprout, and remove the first layer of leaves, then wash the sprout.  (For smaller sprouts, cut in half.  For larger sprouts, cut into quarters.)
3.  Mince the garlic and add the garlic to the olive oil, and mix.  Add the sprouts and mix to coat. 
4. Roast in the oven uncovered for 40-50 minutes until the centers are tender.
5.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and cheese, and serve immediately
Adapted from Joy in the Jumble

 Mini cabbages.  I'm not a huge fan.  They were easy to clean.
I was also worried they wouldn't stay together when I quartered them, but they did.  Even after I tossed them in the oil and garlic.
Here they are, coming out of the oven.  I sprinkled with cheese and they were good to go.
And how did they taste?  Eh, okay.  I let them sit while I cooked the salmon in the oven, so they weren't screaming hot.  I think the roasting probably improved the flavour for me.  J liked them, and told me I could make them again.  I probably will to try them hot.
But to my way of thinking, there's very little that beats frozen corn in winter and corn on the cob in the summer.  It's all about the carbs.



No comments:

Post a Comment