Background

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Cool Treat: Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

So.
I love ice cream.  So does J.  One of the best frivolous investments we have made is in the ice cream attachment for our Kitchen Aid mixer.  A few times per summer, I haul it out of its place of residency in our freezer and make ice cream.
It's funny...I find that a container of the homemade stuff lasts us longer than a container I buy at the store.  Maybe it's the fact that it's harder in the freezer.  Maybe it's the fact that it's richer and we don't need as much.  Maybe it's a figment of my imagination.  But whatever the reason, it's always fun when there's a Tupperware container full of ice cream for an evening treat in the freezer.
One of the blogs that I found by way of Pinterest and her amazing Stuffed Mexican Pasta Shells recipe is The Way to His Heart.  She makes a ton of ice creams, and this is her "go to flavour."  I have to admit it's good, but I think I like Nutella ice cream better.

I present to you now The Way to His Heart's Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream:


Ingredients:
2 c milk
2 c heavy cream
1 c sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp peppermint extract
3 drops green food coloring (optional)
1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
Method:
1.  In a large bowl, stir together the milk, cream, sugar, salt, vanilla, and peppermint extract until the sugar has dissolved. Color to your liking with the green food coloring.
2.  Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions. At the end of the cycle, as the ice cream is being poured into a container, add the chocolate chips.
3.  Spoon into a container and freeze for 2 hours minimum.
From The Way to His Heart

I added more green than the recipe called for.  I wanted a slightly more violent colour so you'd know what you're eating.  The flavour is lovely, but the texture was off.  I think the fault was mine.  10 minutes in, I dutifully added my chocolate chips.  I think this was a mistake.  The ice cream hadn't thickened sufficiently, and the quickly freezing chips threw the paddle off balance, indicating the ice cream was ready to be put into the freezer to ripen.
Upon reading the manual, I probably should have waited until the 20 minute or so mark.  But ice cream is ice cream, and it was still pretty darn tasty.
There's a s'more ice cream up that I want to try too.  The summer isn't over yet.  Hmmmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment