Background

Monday, May 30, 2016

#SRC Bonus Post: Moist Chocolate Cake

So.
With 5 Mondays in the month, we're having an extra edition of the Secret Recipe Club!  It's all about BBQs, Picnics and Potlucks. Normally, I do a reveal with the other members of Group A the first Monday of the month (that's coming up next week!).  But with the fifth Monday, our intrepid leader Sarah put out the call for a special event - one where you can be paired with anyone else from the club.  Fun, right?  We always have a few BBQs and so on to go to in the summer, so I thought it sounded like a great opportunity to go looking for something new and different.
I should pause here to say that right now my house is a shambles.  Next Monday J and I are moving.  The fact that I signed up to do this and my regular reveal day means that I just might be certifiable.  But whatever.
I was happy to be paired with a blog that was totally new to me:  Loving Life.  Kirstin is a wife and mom who blogs about food, home, and life.  She lives in the Pacific Northwest, a place I have visited once but know very little about.
I enjoyed going through her recipes, knowing I needed a dessert for my Home Church BBQ.  What I discovered?  She doesn't blog about dessert like I do...and many of them are SRC recipes (I make a lot of desserts for SRC too), but never mind.  She had lots of yummy looking things, like Blackberry Balsamic Salmon and Lasagna Bread as well as the Candied Spiced Chickpeas that I bought the chickpeas to make and never got that far.  But no matter.  I did find a dessert, and a delicious one at that.
I present to you now Loving Life's Moist Chocolate Cake:

Ingredients:
2 c white sugar
1-3/4 c flour
3/4 c cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 c strong brewed coffee
1 c buttermilk
1/2 c vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla

For the Glaze:
2 c icing sugar
4 Tbsp milk

Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease a 10" bundt pan and set aside.
2.  In a large bowl, stir together dry ingredients, making a well in the centre.  Add wet ingredients and beat for 2 minutes, until well combined and glossy.  The batter will be thin.
3.  Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake at 350F for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the centre comes out clean.  Let rest 10 minutes in the pan before turning out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
4.  Make the glaze:  In a medium bowl, stir together icing sugar and milk, one tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached.  Transfer cake to cake plate and pour glaze over cake.  Let set before serving.
Cake from Loving Life 

The coffee in the cake deepens the flavour of the cocoa.  It smelled so good, and went together really quickly.  I had a debate with myself about whether or not to grease the pan, and did butter it well before pouring the batter in.
It looked so good coming out too!  I let it sit 10 minutes, and ran around the outer and inner edge with a knife before jiggling it to make sure it was loose.
And then turned it out of the pan, which promptly ripped the top off the cake.  It was at this point I decided I was adding a glaze.  I scooped the broken cake out of the pan, plunked the pieces back on top and left it to cool.
I added a glaze, and we all enjoyed!  Cake is such a treat anyways that no one commented on the craggy top.  The flavour was deep and delicious, and it was so moist.  We loved it.  Thanks Kirstin for adding to our BBQ!












10 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it. I hate when pieces break off. I probably grease and flour my pans too much, just so they won't lol, but sometimes they still do. It's one of our favorite cakes because it's so easy to make and doesn't require much in the way of frosting. Often I just dust it with powdered sugar and serve it with some fruit on the side

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMM...Cake. Always a great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chocolate cake is amazing all the time!!! :) YUMMMMM

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous cake. I would love a slice with a tall glass of cold milk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, man - I hate when my cakes break. Looks great, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how dark it is. Looks delicious even with the break. That just calls for more glaze :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's nothing better than a slice of chocolate cake. Looks delicious. Visiting from SRC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks amazing! I totally have done the same thing when my bundt cakes don't come out clean.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds delicious! Chocolate cake is the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the coffee in the cake. I could go for a slice about now.

    ReplyDelete