Background

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Souper Sunday: Southwestern Bean and Bacon Soup

So.
Cinco de Mayo was yesterday, and I didn't post anything.  Frankly, I'm not sure that this is "Mexican".  It's just really tasty.  Like, J and I loved it and were a little sorry it only made 4 servings.
J's favourite soup out of a can is Bean and Bacon.  I don't really know why...but it is.  I will sometimes buy him a can so he can make it for lunch, but not often.  Frankly, when I started looking at this soup, I wasn't thinking Bean and Bacon.  I was thinking Southwestern flavours, and didn't this sound interesting.
But upon eating, J was thrilled that I'd made one of his favourite soups with a little Southwestern twist.  All I know is that this soup didn't come from a can, and it's so yummy.
I present to you now Grace Nordang from Methow, Washington's Southwestern Bean and Bacon Soup:

Ingredients:
4 bacon strips
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can refried beans
1/4 c salsa
2 c low-sodium chicken broth
Dash Tobasco sauce
Shredded Cheddar Cheese and Tortilla chips

Method:
1.  In a Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp.  Drain, reserving drippings.  Chop bacon and set aside.  Saute onion and garlic in reserved drippings until soft.
2.  Add refried beans, salsa, broth, and chopped bacon.  Simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes to blend flavours.  Season with a dash of hot sauce.  Serve with shredded cheddar cheese and crushed tortilla chips.
From Taste of Home (I have this cookbook)


I only took one picture.  No tortillas, but a dollop of sour cream.  So good.  Taste of Home wins again!

No comments:

Post a Comment