Background

Friday, March 27, 2015

Breakfast: Baked Peanut Butter Apple Oatmeal

So.
I have a love/hate relationship with Pinterest.  I love that I can organize the interesting things I find and use it to plan for vacations.  I hate that I forget how I've reorganized things when it seems to be getting out of control.  I also hate how much of a master Pinterest is at the art of time suckage.
I can lose myself in pretty food pictures for hours.  I can click and click on home renovations that I don't have the time or the abilities to recreate.  But sometimes, one of my friends pins something that looks delicious, and I don't need to look so hard to find something that I'd like and might be good for me.
Case in point, this recipe.  My friend Lauren pinned it and I thought it looked so good.  I am often on the hunt for new things to make for breakfast that can be made ahead, and that is warm and delicious.  One of my New Year's resolutions was to eat breakfast regularly, and I've become much better about it.  When desperate, I have toast and jam; but I have looked for options that are a little more hot and filling.  About once per week, I do some sort of egg wrap for J and I, and I've frozen pancakes to reheat in the toaster.  I finally decided to make a batch of the baked oatmeal that I'd seen all over but not tried, and when it contained peanut butter, so much the better!
This was perfect and simple.  It also made enough to eat for the whole week.  I portioned it out into reheatable containers and stacked them in a corner of the fridge.  J and I both enjoyed this the first morning and reheated in the microwave with milk as the week progressed.  I definitely need to make more baked oatmeals!
I present to you now Two Peas and Their Pod's Baked Peanut Butter Apple Oatmeal:

Ingredients:
2 c old-fashioned oats
1/4 c brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1-3/4 c milk
1 egg
3 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c creamy natural peanut butter
2 apples, diced
Method:
1.  Preheat the oven to 350F.  Grease an 8" square pan.
2.  In a large bowl, stir together oats, brown sugar, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon.  Set aside.
3.  In a large measuring cup, stir together milk, egg, apple sauce, and vanilla.  Pour the liquid over the oats and stir well.  Add peanut butter and combine thoroughly.  Stir in apples.  Pour into prepared pan.
4.  Bake for 35 minutes until the top is golden and the oatmeal is set.  Serve warm with milk. Makes 6 servings.

From Two Peas and Their Pod

Ah, the life of a blogger who doesn't develop recipes but cooks from the works of others.  It's amazing that I haven't spilled on my computer.  I coated my Blackberry with flour the other day, but that's about the worst I've ever done while cooking.
I used Granny Smith apples, and didn't peel them.  The green was a little pop of colour in the beige.
See?
This is a very loose mixture that sets up while baking.
So that the final product looks like this.  With a splash of milk and 30 seconds in the microwave, breakfast is served.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment