Background

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Bride of Magazine Challenge: Glazed Cheese Croissants

So.
J says I need to go back to work.  I'm not sure I agree, but I do know these things:
  1. I am starting to bake things in the morning for breakfast, just because
  2. I am starting to become a recluse in the house because I can
  3. I probably need more to do with my time than cook, pin things on Pinterest, and play on Facebook
  4. I cramp the style and routine of my husband and the cat
As a result, J is talking more and more about my going back full time.  I don't think he realizes what happens when I'm not here to do dishes and make interesting things for lunch.  But time will tell.
I have been intrigued by these croissants for a while, and just hadn't gotten around to making them.  They're interesting because of their limited ingredients, their lack of leavening, and the fact that when rolled out and rolled up they remind me of the crescent rolls my mom made when I was little.
So on the last Friday of my vacation, I made these for breakfast, and they were yummy.  I hope you like them too.  
From the April 2006 issue of Everyday Food, I present to you now Glazed Cheese Croissants:
Ingredients:
3/4 c small curd cottage cheese
1/2 c butter, softened
1 c flour
1/4 tsp salt
Glaze:
1/4 c icing sugar
2 tsp milk
Method:
1.  In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients well.  Shape into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or until firm.
2.  Preheat oven to 375F.  On a well floured surface, roll out dough to a 12-14" circle.  Cut into quarters, and then into eighths.  Roll up, starting at the broad end of the triangle, curving slightly to place on baking sheet.
3.  Bake at 375F for 25-30 minutes, until golden.  Stir together glaze ingredients, making a glaze that is pourable, but still thick.  Let cool slightly before drizzling with glaze.  Serve warm.
From Everyday Food, April 2006

These went together so fast.  Like, I set the butter to soften after doing the dinner dishes, and I mixed everything together a couple of hours later before I went to bed.  Of course, it helps that it is summer.  I will warn you, however, that ignoring the need for small-curd cottage cheese will give you a dough that looks like this.  I wondered if perhaps using electric beaters instead of a spoon would have given a smoother dough.  I didn't think it would really matter.
But it kind of did.  See the dark brown spots?  That would be curds of cottage cheese.  They were crispy straight out of the oven, and I kind of liked them.  They were weird the next day, and I don't recommend them.  I recommend to you that you use small-curd cottage cheese or smooth them out because the flavour is great, and fresh out of the oven they're awesome.
Icing glaze doesn't hurt the cause either.  Next time, I think I'll add a little almond extract to the glaze.  Yum.  But J's probably right.  If I'm planning stuff like this for breakfast, it's time to get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment