Background

Friday, April 25, 2014

Bride of Magazine Challenge: Banana Chocolate Chip Bread

So.
According to my mother, I ate a banana everyday as a very small child.  I'm not exactly sure when this stopped, but I know that for as long as I can remember I have not liked bananas by themselves or as a simulated flavour.  That being said, I have started making banana chocolate chip muffins (or even better Monkey Muffins) which have been enjoyable.
In the January/February 2006 issue of  Everyday Food, there was a recipe for banana chocolate chip bread with nuts.  You could probably turn it into muffins, but I decided to widen my scope and try my bananas studded with chocolate in loaf form.  I don't think it was a mistake.
I present to you now from the Jan/Feb 2006 issue of Everyday Food, Banana Chocolate Chip Bread:


Ingredients:
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 c vegetable oil
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 c sugar
1-1/2 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 c chocolate chips
1/2 c chopped nuts

Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 F.  Grease a 6 cup loaf pan.
2.  In a bowl, stir together flour, salt and soda.  Set aside.  In a second bowl, stir together bananas, oil, eggs and sugar.  Add flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.  Add chocolate chips and nuts, stirring until combined.
3.  Bake at 350F for 70 minutes.  If the loaf browns too quickly, tent with foil to slow browning.  Let cool in the pan 10-15 minutes before turning out onto a rack and allowing to cool completely, right side up.

From Everyday Food, Jan/Feb 2006 (You're going to have to trust me on this.  Martha's website appears to have disavowed any knowledge of this recipe, and it's not posted)

I used pecans, but I think walnuts would be equally as delicious.  I also had more than half a cup of chocolate chips.  I recommend that as an option.
I used my stoneware pan, but I still greased it.  Unfortunately, I still had a small section stick to the pan when I turned it out.  But that just meant I had to eat a sample.  Had to.
This smelled so good coming out of the oven!  I find with any recipe my oven cooks things fast (I have a convection), so you might need to bake a little longer.  But it was cooked through and sprung back when I pressed the center after 70 minutes.  Any longer and I would have needed foil.
With a cup of coffee, this was delicious.  Especially warm, while still cooling on the rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment