The kitchen is back up and running. It's all good, seeing as I've gone back to work and the thought of having to grill or come up with new things for the crock pot is repulsive.
We love everything in this recipe. Broccoli, chicken, cheese...pizza dough. I've made similar recipes to this in terms of the pocket, and what I learned before was the importance of the seal. We'll come back to this.
I present to you now The Baker Upstairs' Cheesy Chicken Pockets. Here's the pin:
Ingredients:Adapted from The Baker Upstairs
3/4 c + 2 Tbsp Water
3/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2-1/2 c Flour
2 tsp Sugar
2 tsp Yeast
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp flour
1-1/2 c milk
1 tsp chicken boullion
1 c shredded cheddar cheese
2 c chopped steamed broccoli, cooled slightly
1-1/2 c chopped cooked chicken
3/4 c cheddar cheese, cubed
1. To make dough, add all ingredients to the bread machine pan in the prescribed order. Set to dough cycle and let run through cycle.
2. For the filling, melt butter in medium saucepan. Add flour and boullion to make a roux. Slowly add milk a little at a time, to keep a thick sauce. Add shredded cheese and stir to let cheese melt. Set aside to cool slightly.
3. In another bowl, combine broccoli, chicken and cheese cubes. Pour cheese sauce over and stir to combine.
4. Preheat oven to 450 F. Divide dough into 4 equal portions. Roll each portion into a circle, about 8" in diameter. Spoon 1/4 of the filling onto half of the dough, keeping it 1/2" from the edge. Fold over the other half and pinch edges to seal in filling. Place on cookie sheet. Repeat for other pockets.
5. Using a fork, pierce the tops with a fork several times to allow steam to escape. Bake 12-15 minutes, until golden and done.
Today, I'm totally Keeping Up with the Johnstons. You should too!