Background

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Magazine Challenge: Mini Cherry-Pecan Loaves

So.
I like to bake.  That shouldn't be much of a surprise.  I think the thing about baking is that it's therapeutic.  There's a precision and exactness about baking that requires a concentration that isn't always a part of life.  I'm not sure what exactly I'm in therapy for at the moment, but I still love to spend time in the kitchen baking.
I marked this recipe at the end of last year as something I wanted to make.  I'm not sure why exactly I waited this long to make it, other than there were so many other things to make.  It's an easy enough recipe, with things that I often find around here to bake with.  Kind of like a coffee cake batter made into mini loaves.  My mini loaf pan is small enough that a loaf will give 2 nice sized slices for J and I for dessert.  With a cup of tea, it's a perfect afternoon snack.
I present to you now from the December 2005 issue of Everyday Food Mini Cherry-Pecan Loaves:

Ingredients:
1/2 c butter, melted
2-1/2 c flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1-1/2 c sugar
1 c sour cream
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
1-1/2 c dried cherries
1 c pecans, coarsely chopped
Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease mini loaf pans (mine hold 3/4 c).  In a bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
2.  In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine butter, sugar, sour cream, eggs and vanilla until smooth.  Add flour mixture, stirring until smooth.  Fold in cherries and pecans.
3.  Divide batter among loaf pans (I got 10).  Bake at 350 for 22-25 minutes until golden.  Cool 10 minutes in pans before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Adapted from Everyday Food, December 2005

You know what's hilarious?  This was supposed to have a streusel on top.  I have all sorts of pictures of the streusel, and then it didn't really work out to my liking.  But oh my goodness, did these smell good and did these taste good!  J and I split one, and I wrapped the rest for the freezer for eating later this fall.  But I'm thinking I'm going to need to make these again.

No comments:

Post a Comment