Background

Monday, August 25, 2014

Freezer Friendly: Salisbury Steak Meatballs

So.
You know what I'm finding with the things that I've been making for my freezer?  They all smell amazing.  This recipe is no exception.  I made this one morning this week, when I had a meeting in the afternoon, and I figured that if this was freezer-friendly, I could make this, refrigerate, and reheat for dinner.  By the time I finished making this, I was sorry that it wasn't for lunch.  It smelled amazing.
As I've said before, J loves meatloaf.  He's already requested that I make it "sometime this fall".  I'm not huge on it, but will make it from time to time, eat it the first night, and then leave it for J to eat for lunch for a couple of days.  He wanted to know today if maybe next time I could make a meatloaf recipe for the meatballs.  Frankly, this is essentially a meatloaf recipe sans Onion Soup Mix.  That would be okay too.
And the reason I'm not fond of meatloaf after night one?  It never reheats well, and I always get the cold spot.  Ew.  Reheated meatballs in gravy?  Much less likely to happen.  Huzzah.
I always enjoy reading the Pioneer Woman, but I've never really made her recipes before.  This was easy and delicious.  My meatballs didn't look quite so great as hers - but that wouldn't affect the taste.  Or, you know, I think mine were as good as how the picture probably tasted.  If the food was screaming hot.
I present to you now the Pioneer Woman's Salisbury Steak Meatballs:

Ingredients:
2 lbs lean ground beef
3/4 c bread crumbs
1/4 c mustard
1/4 c ketchup
1 tsp beef bouillon powder
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 large onion, sliced
2 Tbsp butter
2-1/2 c beef broth
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp ketchup
1 Tbsp mustard
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Method:
1.  In a large bowl, mix together beef, bread crumbs, mustard, ketchup, bouillon powder, garlic, Worcestershire, salt and pepper.  Combine well.  Form approximately 2 Tbsp of the meat mixture into meatballs (I got 24)
2.  In a large skillet, melt butter.  Cook meatballs until browned on the outside (there will be opportunity to cook completely in the gravy) in 2 batches.  Remove meatballs from the skillet and add onion.  Cook and stir, until onions are golden and soft.
3.  Pour 2 cups of the broth into the skillet and bring to a boil.  Add cornstarch to remaining broth, and stir well before adding to the pan.  Cook and stir, scraping brown bits from the bottom of the skillet.  Add second amounts of ketchup, mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
4.  Return meatballs to pan and simmer about 10 minutes, until meatballs are done and gravy has thickened.
From The Pioneer Woman

The flavour makers.  I added garlic desipte the fact that there is some in the ketchup.  You need to combine this well with the meat.  I didn't do as good a job as I should have...and I even used my hands!  Some of the meatballs fell apart a bit while cooking.
But they looked good in the making.  I got 24 meatballs, which we figured was 6 servings.  But one night and 2 batches for the freezer, not bad.
I didn't caramelize the onions, but I cooked them down quite a bit before adding the broth.  The nice thing about the starting everything in butter is it created a nice base for cooking the onions when using lean ground beef.
And when things went back in to finish cooking, it really didn't matter if something fell apart.  I just stirred gently.
Over noodles, and with broccoli, this made for a good dinner that J especially loved.  And I got 2 more dinners for later.  I'd call that a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment