Background

Friday, August 1, 2014

Bride of Magazine Challenge: Lime Cheesecake Squares

So.
J and I are back from Seattle.  It was a wonderful trip, visiting with his cousins, seeing the sights, eating and drinking too much, and getting sunburned.  In Seattle.  I KNOW.
But we are back for a short stay before heading off overnight to a baseball game in Detroit.  We may not have gone far for long, but we're going away a little more than usual.  That's okay.  It's not been warm enough to swim, and the pool is currently undergoing a treatment for algae.  We might as well be on the road.
It's no surprise that I love dessert.  I don't have quite the sweet tooth of my mother, but we eat dessert here most nights. It gives me more of a chance to bake.  When I saw this recipe in the June 2006 issue of Everyday Food, I figured it was worth a look.
The ingredients are basic.  I went to buy a lemon at the grocery store today, and they were looking pretty sad.  Like, shriveled and not worth it sad.  So I bought a lime.   Greek yogurt cream cheese was on sale, so that's what went in.  Eggs, sugar, butter and graham crackers?  All things from the cupboard.  All desserts should be this easy.
Well, maybe not.  Fussy desserts are fun to make and eat too.  But you know, if you have a craving on a Tuesday, these would work.
I present to you now from the June 2006 issue of Everyday Food Lime Cheesecake Squares:

Ingredients:
For the Crust:
16 square graham crackers
2 Tbsp white sugar
3 Tbsp butter, melted
For the Filling:
2-8 oz bars cream cheese, softened
3/4 c white sugar
2 eggs
The zest and juice of 1 lime
Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 325F.  Line an 8" square baking pan with foil, allowing for an overhang.
2.  In the bowl of a food processor, combine graham crackers and sugar until ground into fine crumbs.  Add melted butter and pulse until moistened.  Press into the pan and pat gently before baking for 10 minutes unti golden.
3.  While the crust bakes, beat cream cheese in the bowl of a stand mixer until smooth.  Add sugar, eggs, zest and juice and blend until combined.
4.  Pour filling over hot crust and return to oven to bake for 30-35 minutes at 325F until the filling jiggles slightly when the pan is touched.
5.  Let cool completely in pan.  Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate fully before cutting into squares.
Adapted from Everyday Food, June 2006

My mini food processor is big enough for this sort of job.  I ground the graham crackers and the sugar before adding the melted butter and pressing in the pan.

The filling went together quickly, and smelled delicious with the fresh lime zest and juice.

All baked.  These cracked, just like when I make cheese cake, when they cooled.  I didn't take pictures of that.

But cracks or no, they were still delicious.  We had a big debate about whether we should use our fingers or a fork.  We finally decided on fork. I also decided that a little raspberry sauce would be delicious, if I had any.  Or margarita curd.  Remember that?  It would up the pucker.  But on their own, they're a nice little dessert.  Rich and yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment