Background

Monday, October 3, 2016

Secret Recipe Club: Sopa de Arroz

So.
We are in the midst of a kitchen renovation.  The obvious question is to ask why I would do something so asinine as to say that I would participate in Secret Recipe Club when I don't have a kitchen.  The good news is I made this just before the renovation started.  Now, I'm looking forward to it being over so I can start cooking again.
This month, I was thrilled to be assigned and excuse to spend some time in La Cocina de Leslie!  My very first month with SRC, Leslie made my Peanut Butter Crunch Cake.  I was so excited to have a chance to peruse Leslie's blog and make some good, authentic Mexican food.
Leslie lives in Mexico with her husband and 4 children.  She's even written a cookbook called Taqueria Tacos that is being released on my birthday.  J and I are both huge fans of Mexican food.  We had our first date at Mi Hacienda, a Mexican restaurant in Toledo, and that's where he proposed as well!  I wanted to make Leslie's Shredded Chicken Tacos de Mole because it reminded me greatly of my favourite Chicken Enchiladas Poblanas from Mi Hacienda, but I couldn't find the mole paste, and a mole sauce was more work that I was up for.  (But if you are up for the work, Leslie has options for homemade mole sauce!)
Enter this recipe.  I was making a shredded pork in the crockpot to mix with black beans and Mexican rice to make burritos so that I would have things in the freezer for eating during the reno.  I needed a good recipe for Mexican rice.  Leslie's recipe from her mother in law doesn't disappoint.
I present to you now from La Cocina de Leslie, Sopa de Arroz (Mexican Rice):

Ingredients:
1 c long grain rice
3 roma tomatoes, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic
1 c water
2 c chicken broth
1 tsp chicken boullion
2 Tbsp oil
Salt, to taste

Method:
1.  In a blender, combine tomatoes, onion, garlic and water.  Puree until smooth. Set aside.
2.  Heat oil over medium heat in a medium pan until hot.  Add rice and cook, stirring, until rice is golden.  Carefully add pureed mixture to rice, then add chicken broth and boullion.  Stir to combine and bring to a boil.  Reduce to low heat.
3.  Cover pan, resisting urge to stir.  Let simmer until all liquid is absorbed.  Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
From La Cocina de Leslie

I didn't take many pictures, and this is a simple recipe; but it's so versatile!  Make sure to toast the rice well.  This is just as I started, so it's not golden.  Also, be careful adding liquid to hot oil.  The spatter factor can be surprising if you're not ready.

But see what you end up with?  Yum.  Perfect as a side, or in my case as a part of shredded pork and black bean burritos.  Thanks Leslie!













11 comments:

  1. Love a good Mexican rice! I loved cooking from her site as well a couple months ago. So many great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! I wish you continued success on your kitchen renovation... and hope you can get back to cooking soon! I had your blog this month and had so much fun making your Southwestern Breakfast Scramble. It was delicious! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of a typical Brazilian recipe, that I grew up enjoying. Well, maybe I should not say enjoying, as I was such a picky eater, my Mom had to more or less force me to eat any type of soup.... oh, well - I am glad I changed and now love all kinds of food

    Have a great Reveal Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the renovation. I was in the midst of one a year ago August. Funny despite being without a kitchen I managed not to skip a SRC posting either. Happy Reveal Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks wonderful. I had Leslie's blog last month and loved it. So many fantastic authentic recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks awesome! I'll have to make some sopa de arroz soon to serve with chiles rellenos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Leslie's blog - she has sooooo many amazing recipes :-D Awesome pick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my favourite soups and perfect for Autumn too! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. A good Mexican rice recipe is a must! And I am so glad that you enjoyed my recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that looks good and so comforting. Great SRC recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks good, love this kind of rice. I always toast mine, really adds to the flavour.

    ReplyDelete