Background

Monday, July 25, 2016

Dessert to Share: Rhubarb Custard Pie

So.
It's been a while, and rhubarb season is, for all intents and purposes, over.
But this is too good a pie not to share.  It's no secret I love lemon.  That's because you can get lemons year round.  As opposed to rhubarb, which has a tiny window of opportunity and if you're like me you need to know somebody to get it from because there's no way I'm paying for what is essentially a weed.
Call it what you like, rhubarb is a fantastic flavour - blisteringly sour and begging for sugar.  My aunt used to have a red stalked variety that was gorgeous when it was cooked down (my favourite way to eat it...still warm....over ice cream).  But my aunt lives a long way away, and my source for rhubarb moved into a smaller house.
Fast forward to this June, where we were at a friend's for dinner, and she mentioned that I was welcome to go and get some rhubarb from the farm.  She gave me directions, and I didn't go.  Then she brought a bag of rhubarb to me. I chopped some for cooking and eating this winter, took some more and made a batch of delicious muffins, and turned the rest into this pie with a pie crust I found in the bottom of the freezer.
I called my mom looking for my grandmother's recipe.  It's apparently lost.  My mother's comment was she was looking too, and I didn't want the recipe she'd made last.  So I turned to the source of all recipe knowledge, Pinterest.
I present to you now from Creative Bite, Rhubarb Custard Pie:

Ingredients:
1 - 9" deep dish pie crust, unbaked
3 c rhubarb, chopped
1-1/4 c white sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1 c heavy cream
3 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp salt

Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 400 F.  Place rhubarb in unbaked pie shell.
2.  In a medium bowl, beat remaining ingredients until smooth.  Pour over rhubarb in pie shell.
3.  Bake at 400F for 10 minutes, before reducing oven temperature to 350F and baking for an additional 35-40 minutes.  Cool before serving.
From the Creative Bite

 The box said this was a deep dish crust.  They lied.  At least, compared to my deep dish pie plate as a comparison, it's not that deep.  The rhubarb fit well enough, and I cut it to a fairly small dice, but then I started adding the custard.
 I wasn't smart enough to put it on a cookie sheet first.  I had to bail a little of the custard out to be able to lift the pie onto the cookie sheet, seeing as I knew it was going to run over, based on how full the shell was.  My grandmother's pie calls for nutmeg.  I missed the nutmeg in this recipe.
But it was pretty when it came out.  And delicious when we at it at a potluck BBQ the next day.  Rhubarb season - so short, so yummy!  While this is a little late for this year, there's always planning for next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment