Background

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Got Milk 5: Lemon Oatmeal Creme Cookies

So.
According to the calendar, it's Spring.  As we determined on Monday, to me, Spring tastes like lemon.  Summer tastes like grilling and gin, but that's beside the point.  But lemon...bright, sassy lemon.  It's one of my favourite dessert flavours in a pie, or a cake, or a cookie.
I think it's the fact that lemon is a palate cleaner.  It's so refreshing after a meal of big flavours.  It doesn't take a lot, but just a little to jazz up chicken soup or give you a little pucker and cut the sugar.  Someday, I'll wax poetic about chocolate.  It's darn tasty too.
But when I saw these cookies on Crumb I knew I had to make them.  Fresh oatmeal cookies stuck together with tart lemon icing?  Yes please!
I present to you now Crumb's Lemon Oatmeal Creme Cookies:

Ingredients:
For the Cookies:
1 c brown sugar, packed
1/2 c butter, softened
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1-3/4 c oatmeal
1-1/4 c flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
For the Filling:
1/4 c butter, softened
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp lemon zest
2 c icing sugar

Method:
Make the Cookies:
1.  Preheat oven to 375F.  Grease baking sheets.
2.  In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar.  Add egg and vanilla, and beat until light and creamy.  Stir in oats, flour, soda, nutmeg and salt until combined.
3.  Roll the dough into 1/2" balls (don't make them too large!) and place on prepared pans, spacing about 2" apart.  Flatten cookies with your hand.
4.  Bake cookies for 5-7 minutes, until golden.  Let cool slightly before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Make the Filling:
5.  Cream butter, lemon juice and zest until light and fluffy.  Gradually beat in the sugar until the icing is smooth and spreadable.
6.  Assemble cookies with a generous amount of filling between 2 cookies.  Allow to set up before serving.  Makes 30 sandwiches.
From Crumb

See these cookies?  They don't look very big.  But they started as 1" balls.  They really weren't all that big compared to some of the other cookies I've made (I'm looking at you, Linebacker Sized Chocolate Chunks).  But there are 2 in every finished product.  I got just over half of the projected 60.  Lesson:  I should have made them smaller.  But they're a yummy little cookie.  They'd be good on their own with a cup of tea.  But wait.  There's more.
Generous.  Amount.  Of.  Icing.  Frankly, it made my 7 year-old self giddy making these.  The correct term for the amount I was using between cookies is a "glom".
Aren't these cute?  They're also delicious.  Thanks Isabelle!  Once again, you don't steer me wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment