Background

Monday, February 2, 2015

#TripleSBites: Chocolate-Orange Meringue Kisses

So.
Welcome to #TripleSBites!  20 bloggers coming together to share spicy, saucy and sexy recipes just in time for Valentine's Day!  Today, all 20 of us have a recipe to share to kick off this week-long event.
As my earlier post from today indicated, I'm sharing a second post from my Secret Recipe Club blog this month, Chit, Chat, Chomp.
When I think of Valentine's, there's obviously going to be some kissing!  As I put these together, J wasn't quite sure what was going on, but he was willing to try.  That's okay.  He's willing to try most things.
The result?  Delicious little bites that melt in your mouth.  With chocolate ganache.  How could that be bad?
I present to you now Chit, Chat, Chomp's Chocolate-Orange Meringue Kisses:

Ingredients:
For the Meringue
4 egg whites
1 c white sugar
1 tsp white vinegar
For the Filling
100g good-quality chocolate (I used milk)
1/4 c whipping cream
2 Tbsp orange liqueur

Method:
1.  Make the meringues:  Preheat the oven to 250F, and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2.  In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.  Gradually add the sugar and vinegar.  Beat until the mixture is thick, snow white and glossy.
3.  Drop teaspoonfulls onto the parchment paper, creating about 80 drops. (I piped the meringue as in the original, and it's really pretty if you have a pastry bag and large star tip).
4.  Bake at 250F for 12 minutes, or until meringue is dry to the touch.  Let cool 30 minutes in the oven before removing and cooling completely.
5.  In a small bowl, combine chocolate, cream and liqueur.  Melt in the microwave on 40% in 30 second increments until chocolate is melted.  Stir until smooth.  The mixture will thicken as it cools.
6.  Spread 1 meringue bottom with chocolate mixture.  Sandwich with a second meringue.
From Chit, Chat...Chomp

I'm not sure I'd ever made meringue before.  Other than for a lemon meringue pie.  This was fluffier and stickier than the pie meringue.  I was also intrigued by the use of vinegar.  You can't taste it in the final product.  It is a teaspoon, after all.

I used a large star tip to pipe the meringues onto the parchment.  The base is about the size of a quarter.  They lifted cleanly off the paper when baked.

Horrid picture, but an important reminder - heat the chocolate with the cream and liqueur so that the chocolate doesn't seize.  You don't want a grainy ganache.


Aren't they cute?  J liked them too.  Light and airy, just like first kisses.  But with smooth chocolate for a delicious finish.  The next day, they were even better!  Creamy, delicious and a two-bite bit of deliciousness.

Today is the first day of a week long event!  Come back and see what else the bloggers and I have made for a Spicy, Saucy and Sexy Valentine's season.  Check out the giveaway too!  We have amazing sponsors who helped make this all happen.



Check out what the rest of the bloggers made:


11 comments:

  1. They are adorable and you gotta love when you can knock off two clubs with one post....life is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! Chocolate and orange is a great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valentines definitely involves kissing. I love these. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look amazing Sarah - I'm so pleased you made them and of course enjoyed them as much as me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We used to make meringue cookies for the holidays. Peppermint chocolate ones to be exact. They truly are light and airy. I love meringue cookies. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so yummy!
    Now I need to find a valentine to make them for. Orrrrr I can always eat them all myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious and perfect to share with a Valentine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Homemade meringues are the best. Great flavor combo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmmm....homemade meringues, yum! I love that you added orange, sounds so delicious! Hugs, Terra

    ReplyDelete
  10. Little light, airy puffs of deliciousness.

    ReplyDelete