Background

Friday, November 7, 2014

Bride of Magazine Challenge: Roast Beef with Potatoes and Pearl Onions

So.
I set this post up and planned to complete it before the time came for it to go live.  Whoops.
For the eagle-eyed among you, the post went live with one word and no recipe.  Time is not my friend right now.  I keep meaning to get to the blog, and it just doesn't happen with everything else that's happening.  But I keep making new things.  So much to share!
Maybe November will be kinder.  Ha!
I like meals that are quick, easy, and give me at least 2 nights worth of meals.  This one is a winner, hands down.  When I went to the grocery store, there were no shallots.  How is that possible?  I think shallots are a fairly basic ingredient.  They did have bags of tiny red onions.  I thought those would be just as yummy.  They were probably more of a pain to peel.
J told me the next time I want to make a roast, he'd be happy to help eat it.  I'd use this recipe again, and even use shallots.
I present to you now from the October issue of Everyday Food, Roast Beef with Potatoes and Red Pearl Onions:

Ingredients:
1-1/2 lbs potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
1 lb red pearl onions, peeled
2 Tbsp oil
1-1/2 lb sirloin tip roast, tied
Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 400F.  In a large bowl, toss potatoes and onions with oil.  Season with salt and pepper, and pour onto a large rimmed baking sheet.
2.  Push potatoes and onions to the edges of the sheet, placing roast in the middle.  Turn to coat with oil, and season with salt and pepper.
3.  Roast, until a thermometer registers 130F for medium rare, about 45 minutes.  Let rest 10 minutes before slicing.

Adapted from Everyday Food, October 2006


Aren't these cute?  I thought so.  But they're just small enough that they're a pain to peel.  Totally worth it, though.  The roasted flavour was lovely.
Ready for the oven!  With #10DaysofTailgate, one of the sponsors was Thermoworks, and we all recieved a Thermopop.  This was the first time I used it.  So easy!  So great.
And here's my medium rare roast coming out of the oven.  The potatoes were yummy, and the onions were great.  Next time, I'd like to add a few carrots to round out the meal.
But broccoli is pretty good too.  A quick winter winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment