Background

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Let Them Eat Cake: School Death Edition

Chocolate and Peanut Butter has to be one of my favourite flavour combinations.  From cups to milkshakes to brownies, I will try them all.  I know it's also a favourite of one of my favourite reads, Ms. Sizzle at Sizzle Says.  Seeing as she also likes to bake, I'm pretty sure she'd love this one if she's currently eating sugar.  Or refined carbs.  Heh...I looked at the nutritional notes for this cake and decided not to post them.  Don't think.  Just have a small piece and take the rest somewhere for others to help you eat the rest.  That's the beauty of cakes:  they're made to be shared.
I love making cakes.  I have made a lot of layer cakes in the past for work potlucks and the like.  Hence my rather large collection of cake recipes and magazines.  I found this in my Taste of Home Luscious Cakes magazine that was to be taken off the stands May 13, 2006.  Seeing as it's TOH, it was ridiculously simple.  Seeing as there's a cup of peanut butter in it, as well as peanut butter chips, I will never be able to take this to work with me.  Here's the recipe for Peanut Butter Crunch Cake:

Ingredients: 
1 package yellow cake mix
1 c creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 c water
3 eggs
1/4 c oil
3/4 c chocolate chips, divided
3/4 c peanut butter chips, divided
1/2 c peanuts, chopped

Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 350F.  In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, peanut butter and brown sugar on low speed until crumbly.  Set aside 1/2 c of the mixture.  Add the water, eggs and oil to remaining cake mixture and blend until moistened.  Beat 2 minutes, and stir in 1/4 c each chocolate and peanut butter chips.
2.  Pour into a greased 9x13" pan.  Combine peanuts, crumb mixture and remaining chocolate and peanut butter chips and sprinkle over the batter, pressing lightly into the top of the cake.
3.  Bake 40-45 minutes, until a tooth pick inserted near the centre comes out clean (beware going through a chip!!)  Cool and serve.
From Taste of Home
 
 So here is the peanut butter going into the cake mix.  Gratuitous mixer shot, obviously.

Ready for the oven, with the crumble on top.  One of the reviews that I read about this cake said that the topping was wicked messy, and it all falls off.  I agree.  It's not to be eaten out of your hand with just a napkin, even though your husband keeps trying.

Leftovers!!  We took this out with us, and it was amazing.  It's fantastic warm, and almost as good cold.  Why did it take me so long to try this recipe?  Oh right...all the other recipes I have to try too.

No comments:

Post a Comment