Background

Thursday, May 30, 2013

The Pintester Movement: Buffalo Chicken Lasagna

So.
I don't read a ton of blogs regularly, but I do read the Pintester and follow her on Facebook. Reading her foibles while crafting and cooking make me giggle.  A lot.  Regularly.  I also enjoy her Cocknails videos where we're treated to a cocktail and manicure.  That always makes J ask, "What are you watching?  She swears a lot."  But it's a whole package.
So, when she announced the Pintester Movement, I jumped on board.  I mean, who doesn't enjoy looking through all the things pinned to your boards wondering what I should make and possibly fail at to be a part of the movement?  Essentially, the movement is to make something from Pinterest and post to Pintester on May 30.  To see what others are doing, click here.
Honestly, the food I pin usually isn't things like "Buy a chocolate bar and Pillsbury grands and make chocolate croissants!" (I bet those would be good).  I click through and look at the recipes to decide whether or not J and I would actually eat what is being offered.  So I combed through and found something for a busy week that I'd wanted to try that was a take-off on an old classic.  It's also in a slow cooker, one of the many backbones of Pinterest culinary prowess.  Here's the pin:
How can you be wrong with that much cheese?
I present to you now Hot Mama Network's Buffalo Chicken Lasagna:


Ingredients:
3 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce
1 Bottle Pasta Sauce
9 uncooked lasagna noodles
16 oz. tub of cottage cheese
1 egg
1/2 c parmesan cheese
2 c shredded cheddar cheese

Method:
1.  Cook and shred chicken.  I prefer to oven poach my chicken with water in a foil covered pan, so I add the water to my Kitchen Aid as well to moisten the chicken.  In the bowl of the mixer, add Frank's sauce and pasta to make the sauce.
2.  Mix egg, cottage cheese and parmesan cheese.
3.  In a slow cooker, spread 1 cup of sauce.  Cover with noodles, breaking to fit in the cooker. Layer with half the cottage cheese mixture, then cover with sauce and 1 cup of shredded cheese.  Continue with noodles, the rest of the cottage cheese, sauce, noodles, sauce and top with shredded cheese.
4. Cook on low 4-5 hours, or on high 2.5-3 hours.
Adapted from Hot Mama Network

My picture isn't quite as pretty as the pin, but there's lots of cheese!  I have made this with a traditional sauce, and it's good and simple.  This was simple and flavourful too.
J and I got 4 meals out of this.  It got better after sitting in the fridge.  There was a good bite, but it wasn't overpowering.  Next time, I'd like to crumble blue cheese over the top.  That would set it off perfectly.








So, the pin was a success here on the Mountain.  I'd make this again in cooler weather.

Might I suggest you too join the movement?  Check out the other crafting experiences at:  http://pintester.com/2013/05/the-pintester-movement-craft-all-the-things

5 comments:

  1. Yum, that looks good! I'd totally eat that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I want to try this, but I haven't had much luck with GF noodles. Sounds really good though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so lazy that I am trying to come up with ways of doing this all in the crock pot without having to precook anything first. At the very least, I can write a funny post about giving the household salmonella.

    In case that was unclear, this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jodee, you could use a rotisserie chicken!

    I will likely be trying this one soon, my guys are crazy for anything 'buffalo chicken,' and I can make a more well-rounded dinner than just wings and celery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amber you are so right. I do Buffalo Wings for the spouse in the house, but this would be a great alternative.

    ReplyDelete