Background

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Sweet Treat: Fudgy Brownies

So.
I love sweet things.  I get it from my mother, who does not believe that a meal is truly ended until you've had dessert.  While I have no problem not eating dessert at lunch, I enjoy something after dinner in the evening. 
J and I often have a treat around 9 while watching TV.  Sometimes it's ice cream, sometimes it's cookies, and sometimes I find something in an issue of Everday Food that I decide I need to make to fulfill 6 recipes in a month.
This is a recipe that satisfies both of these requirements.  J and I each ate one for dessert, and this is recipe 3 from EDF May 2005.  3 down!  I may actually make 6 before the end of the month!!
I present to you now from May 2005's Everyday Food Fudgy Brownies:
Ingredients:
1/2 c butter
8 oz semi sweet chocolate, chopped
1-1/4 c sugar
3/4 tsp salt
3 eggs
3/4 c flour
1 c pecans, chopped

Method:
1.  Line an 8" square pan with foil.  Butter foil and set aside.  Preheat oven to 350F.
2.  Melt chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl.  Try 5 mins on 40%, checking and stirring after 2 mins.  Take out of microwave before chocolate is totall melted and stir until smooth. 
3.  Add sugar and salt, stirring.  Add eggs one at a time, beating well to incorporate each.  Add flour and stir just until moistened.  Fold in nuts.
4.  Pour into prepared pan and spread.  Bake at 350F for 45 minutes.  Set on wire rack to cool completely before removing from pan and cutting into squares.
From May 2005 Everday Food

 I used 1 bowl and 1 fork for this whole recipe.  That's a win in my eyes!  When everything was in, the mixture was rather gelatinous.  But it smelled divine!  I used regualr baking chocolate.  Think of what these would be like with a higher quality chocolate.  Ohhhhhh......
Here is the final product:  dense, chewy, rich and chocolatey.  I cut the pan into 16, but you could go smaller.  They're the classic brownie that you know and love.  Thanks Martha!

1 comment:

  1. I have made these before and they are awesome! I am still not big into nuts in my baked goods. I think it's a texture thing ... something crunchy and hard amidst the soft ... not to my liking. Or perhaps I haven't gotten over that from childhood.

    ReplyDelete