Background

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Retro Dinner: Shepherd's Pie

J loves this recipe too, and it's dead simple.  I'm thinking that I probably had a recipe for this at one time, but I don't remember the last time I actually did anything other than go into the kitchen and whip this up.  I love forgiving recipes that let you use what you've got.
My mother's recipe for Shepherd's Pie has a pastry crust and uses a can of alphabet soup instead of gravy.  It's okay, but I like the brown sauce better, and there's melted cheese, so how can you go wrong?
I present to you now Shepherd's Pie, my way:

Brown 1 lb. ground beef with a chopped onion until the onion is soft and translucent.  When I haven't had an onion, I've added a package of Lipton's onion soup to the beef after draining.  Drain, and add half a package of frozen vegetables (I use carrots, peas, corn and green beans.  If I don't have mixed veg, I pour in some of whatever I have on hand.  I'm a traditionalist)  Make a package of brown sauce (I use McCormack's brown sauce.  Or if I'm really lucky, frozen leftover homemade gravy...that doesn't happen much) and add to the ground beef mixture.  Mix well, and pour into a deep dish pie pan.
I set mine on an old pizza pan that is my drip pan for the oven.  This often boils over on me.
Make mashed potatoes.  I think I used 4 large potatoes.  I also had some left in the fridge.  I have no clue how much you actually need.  Too much is better than too little.  Mash with milk and butter as always, and then spread over the ground beef.  Top with shredded cheddar cheese, and bake for about 15 minutes at 350 until cheese is melted and a little browned, and everything is hot.
Friday night yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment