Background

Thursday, May 5, 2016

Revenge of the Magazine Challenge: Roasted Chicken Fajita Tostadas

So.
It's Cinco de Mayo today.  I know nothing about this holiday, but think it might have something to do with Mexican Independence.  What I do know is that it's an excuse to drink margaritas and eat Mexican-inspired food according to the interwebs.  For food bloggers, this also means that we post Mexican-inspired food posts.
I can get down with that.
The April 2008 issue of Everyday Food had an article on Lighter Tex-Mex favourites.  I marked 3 of the recipes as things I want to make (these tostadas, fish tacos and stuffed poblano peppers).  Based on the results from this recipe, the others will be delicious too.
I present to you now from the April 2008 issue of Everyday Food, Roasted Chicken Fajita Tostadas:

Ingredients:
1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 red pepper, thinly sliced (ribs and seeds removed)
10 oz frozen corn
1/2 c salsa
1 Tbsp oil
2 c shredded cooked chicken
2 whole wheat tortillas
1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese

Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 450F.  Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.  In a large bowl, combine onion, pepper, corn, 1/4 c salsa, and 1 Tbsp oil.  Spread on lined baking sheet.  Roast, tossing occasionally until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
2.  Add chicken, stir to combine, and continue to roast until chicken is warmed through, about 5 minutes.  Transfer chicken and vegetables to a bowl, reserving baking sheet without foil.
3.  Arrange tortillas on baking sheet.  Brush with remaining oil and sprinkle with cheese.  Bake until edges are golden and cheese is melted.
4.  Evenly divide chicken and vegetables between tortillas.  Top with salsa and sour cream.
From Everyday Food, April 2008

I love recipes like this.  They cook up quickly and easily.  I found that the chicken and vegetables made a ton, so I took it for lunch the following day with a tortilla.  I had part of a spatchcocked chicken in the freezer that I ripped apart to make this really fast.
I probably should have used a smaller tortilla.  J and I couldn't decide if we should pick these up, or use a knife and fork.  We did a bit of each.  The conundrum we faced didn't affect the flavour at all.
Yum.  So good.  While I can't tell you anything about the holiday, I can tell you that these are totally worth making for Cinco de Mayo, or a Thursday.  Your choice, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment