Background

Monday, May 2, 2016

Secret Recipe Club: Chicken and Vegetable Cobbler

So.
It's time again for the Secret Recipe Club!  When last we left our heroine, she was once again eating carbs and enjoying Pumpkin Muffins.  This month, I took a slightly different tact when looking for a recipe.
The blog I was assigned was one that I am familiar with because we've been involved in other projects together.  I was pleased to have a chance to explore Adventures in All Things Food written by Andrea.  Andrea lives on a farm, has really cute kids, and is crafty.  But she does also cook.
I decided that I didn't want to be just baking again this month.  I mean, I love to bake, and with Andrea's participation in #BundtBakers there were some amazing cakes to choose from (including my favourite cake, Pineapple Upsidedown Cake; or how about Rum Rocky Road??)  But I decided that I wanted to make an entree, so I searched chicken, and came up with something yummy.
When I first told J I wanted to make a chicken cobbler, he looked at me a little oddly.  Like myself, I reserve the use of the word "cobbler" for a fruit dessert.  But with this casserole chock full of chicken and vegetables under a crispy topping, baked in the dish that I would normally make the fruit dish, I am more than willing to make an exception.  But whatever.  When the weather won't warm up, this was a welcome dinner.  On a miserable and drizzly night, we were warmed from the inside out.
I present to you now from Adventures in All Things Food, Chicken and Vegetable Cobbler:

Ingredients:
1/4 c butter, melted
1 tsp Lemon Pepper Seasoning (I used Mrs. Dash)
3 c cubed soft bread (I used 12 grain)
3 c cooked chicken, diced
2 c broccoli, cut into small florets
1 c baby kale, torn
1/2 c old cheddar cheese, shredded; plus more for sprinkling on top
1/2 c sour cream
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
1 tsp dry mustard powder
3/4 c chicken stock
1/2 c milk

Method:
1.  Heat oven to 375F, and grease a 2 qt casserole.  Set aside.  In a large bowl, toss 1/4 c butter, bread cubes and Lemon Pepper seasoning.  Set aside.
2.  In another bowl, stir together chicken, broccoli, kale, cheese, sour cream, and garlic.  In a medium saucepan, melt 2 Tbsp butter and whisk in flour and mustard powder.  Gradually add chicken stock, whisking constantly.  Whisk in milk and let thicken slightly.  Pour over chicken mixture and stir to combine.
3.  Assemble casserole:  Spread chicken mixture in the casserole dish, and top with buttered bread cubes.  Sprinkle with a little more cheese and bake at 375F for 20 minutes, until the casserole is bubbly, the cheese is melted and the bread is crispy.
From Adventures in All Things Food

This is a great Secret Recipe Club recipe.  You use more dishes and utensils than I usually use for the creation one dish.  J was horrified at the number of things piling up by the sink.  It looked so green and pretty while being stirred together.
Here it is, ready to go in the oven before I realized that I needed to shred a little more cheese.  It smelled so good while baking.
And looked so pretty coming out of the oven!  I let it sit briefly before serving.  J forgave me the pile of dishes after one bite.
I don't often get the comment, "Cute girl, this is amazing!" at dinner.  But when I do, I plan to make the dish again.  Thanks for the new casserole, Andrea!!













10 comments:

  1. What a fun idea for a casserole, I can just see this one popping up at our Boat Club Potluck one month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this looks great. I love one dish meals. Happy Reveal Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a complete meal, it's got everything!

    and looks great to boot!

    Very nice choice for your assignment this month... Hope you are having a great Reveal Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another delicious recipe. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much to love in this recipe!! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've been having a nasty spring, too. This could be the perfect antidote. Love that it's with bread cubes rather than dough...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great pick this month. Love this for weeknight meals! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah. so excited you were cooking from my blog this past month! Mmm... great choice. I think I should put that on the menu for the coming week. Thank you for all the kind words. I look forward to cooking with you again soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am very excited to know new things. like this one, i was unaware of Chicken and Vegetable Cobbler Recipe So thank you for the blog.
    Cake Delivery in Ghaziabad
    Cake Delivery in Faridabad
    Cake Delivery in Dehradun

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank a lot for this post that was very interesting. Keep posting like those amazing posts, this is really awesome :)

    ReplyDelete