Background

Sunday, February 7, 2016

#FreshTastyValentines: Balsamic Roasted Vegetable and Chicken Stew

So.

Welcome back to another issue of #FreshTastyValentine!  Food to tempt your loved ones that is healthy and delicious.  Here's something delicious.  I believe my exact words to J were that we were having a "bowlful of yum" for dinner.
The beauty of Looneyspoons recipes is that they're delicious, made from staples in your pantry, and they work.  When I saw this stew, it sounded wonderful.  With Robert Mondavi as a sponsor of the blogging event, it just made sense to make something with wine.  Bowlful of yum indeed.
I present to you now from the Looneyspoons Collection, Balsamic Roasted Vegetable and Chicken Stew:

Ingredients:
4 c unpeeled potatoes, cubed
2 c baby carrots
1 red onion, roughly chopped
1 c green beans, sliced
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp oil
1 tsp minced garlic (I used Gourmet Garden's Chunky Garlic Stir-In Paste)
1-1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1-1/2 tsp dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 c white wine
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" cubes
3 c chicken broth
3 Tbsp flour

Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 400F.  In a large bowl, toss vegetables (Except green beans) with balsamic, oil, garlic, 1 tsp rosemary, 1 tsp thyme, salt and pepper.  Pour vegetables onto a rimmed baking sheet.  Roast vegetables for 30 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes.  After 30 minutes, add green beans, stir, and roast 10 minutes further.
2.  While the vegetables roast, pour wine and reserved spices into a large pan.  Bring to a simmer and add chicken.  Cook, uncovered, until the chicken is cooked through.  Keep simmering as you add the roasted vegetables.
3.  After adding the roasted vegetables, Pour 2-1/2 cups of broth over chicken and vegetables.  Bring back to a boil.  In a measuring cup, stir flour into the remaining 1/2 cup of broth until smooth.  Add to simmering stew and stir, cooking, until thickened. 
From The Looneyspoons Collection

This didn't really take all that long to make.  You could work on other stages as things cooked.  When you don't even have to peel the potatoes, it takes no time at all to get things done!
I roasted my vegetables at a slightly lower temperature than recommended in the book, but with a convection oven you have to be careful.  I didn't want crispy onions.
As you can see, I did end up with slightly crispy onions.  I wasn't sure that 1 cup of green beans was going to be enough either, but it was.
As I said, a bowlful of yum.  The roasted vegetables added a depth to the stew, and the leftovers were amazing.  I'd say that was another win.
#FreshTastyValentines is a week of recipes and a big giveaway.  Make sure you enter here!





Full Disclosure:  I received Chunky Garlic Stir in Paste from Gourmet Garden for participating in #FreshTastyValentines.  I received no other compensation for my post.  All opinions expressed are 100% accurate, and 100% my own.


3 comments:

  1. I bet this tastes amazing. Great idea to roast the veggies and the chicken first. I am wondering how this would be with beef?? Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bowlful of YUM is right!! Great recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious. We could use this this weekend. It's supposed to be like 12 here. Eek!

    ReplyDelete