Background

Friday, November 6, 2015

Son of Magazine Challenge: Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Herbed Couscous

So.
We've been eating a lot of simple meals recently.  There's been enough going on, and we're still trying to eat at home, so there's been lots of indoor grilling and frozen vegetables.  Not that exciting for blogging everywhere.
But have no fear!  I still haven't blogged Thanksgiving!  Or some desserts.  And there's still Secret Recipe Club and the Book Club Cookbook Cooking Crew.  Or there are things like this.  Magazine Challenge and last Friday night's dinner.
In making this stuffing, I combined things my husband is suspicious of:  couscous and pine nuts.  I also cooked something that I haven't touched in a while:  boneless, skinless chicken breasts.  This was easy enough for a Friday, but fancy enough to feed to company.  I may make it again.  Even with the pine nuts.
I present to you now from the September 2007 issue of Everyday Food, Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Herbed Couscous:

Ingredients:
1/2 c whole wheat couscous
1 Tbsp dried basil
3 Tbsp pine nuts
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 tsp lemon zest
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp oil, divided
2-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Method:
1.  In a small pot, bring 3/4 c water to a boil.  Add couscous and stir, removing from the heat and covering.  Let stand 5 minutes.  Add basil, pine nuts, green onions, lemon zest, lemon juice, and 1 Tbsp of oil.  Stir well.
2.  With a small sharp knife, cut a slit in the side of each chicken breast, creating a pocket that is larger than the slit inside the chicken (and not cutting all the way through).  Stuff each breast with the couscous mixture, packing tightly (I spooned out half to use as stuffing, and then served the rest as a side).
3.  Heat remaining tablespoon of oil in a skillet with a lid.  Place chicken in skillet and cook on 1 side, about 6-8 minutes until browned.  Turn over carefully, add 1/2 c water to the skillet and cover, cooking an additional 8-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.  Serve immediately.

From Everyday Food, September 2007

I really liked this stuffing.  The basil and the lemon complimented each other, and as opposed to my husband, I like pine nuts.
I found the easiest way to stuff the breasts was with my fingers, which was one more reason I divided the stuffing to use the rest as a side.  It went together surprisingly quickly, and remained moist after cooking.  J was surprised that it finished on the stove.
And with the rest of the stuffing and some broccoli, it was a lovely meal.  Thanks Martha!

No comments:

Post a Comment