Background

Friday, November 20, 2015

Son of Magazine Challenge: Apple Crisp

So.
I was reading an article today about being a "mean mom".  Don't ask me why I was reading it, seeing as the closest thing to children that I have is 2 cats who do what they like and a husband who doesn't always listen to me either.  But there I was, reading about how to raise kids by being mean.
One of the things that the article said was to not give in and serve dessert every night so it would be a "treat".

*insert cricket sound here*

I grew up in a house where dessert ended lunch and dinner.  It could be a cookie or fruit, but there was always something.  J and I don't eat dessert every night, but we do often have something in the evening after dinner - perhaps a glass of chocolate milk, or one of the many things I bake up.  It's not an every day thing, but there's often something.
The October 2007 issue of Everyday Food included a dessert article called Sweet, Warm and Cozy:  sumptuous, soul-soothing treats that go straight from oven to table.  Of the 4, I wanted to make 3 of them. I bought a new, appropriate shallow dish and have already made 2.  The next one is coming soon.
Might I suggest a return to ending your meal with something sweet?  I'd also suggest returning to slow meals together with laughter, conversation and a distinct lack of mobile phones, but I don't want to be all crazy-like.
Let's start with desert.
I present to you now from the October 2007 issue of Everyday Food, Apple Crisp:

Ingredients:
3/4 c flour
1/4 c brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c plus 2 Tbsp white sugar
1/2 c butter, cut into small cubes
1 c rolled oats (not quick cooking)
3 lbs apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2" chunks (I used MacIntosh)
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 375F.
2.  In a medium bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, salt, and 2 Tbsp white sugar.  Cut butter into the flour mixture until there are pea-sized pieces of butter in the mixture.  Add oats, and toss, using your hands to squeeze the mixture until large clumps form.  Chill while preparing the apples.
3.  In a second bowl, toss apples with lemon juice, cinnamon and remaining sugar.  Spread apple mixture in a shallow 2 quart baking dish.  Top with oat mixture, and place on a baking sheet before placing in the oven.
4.  Bake apple crisp at 375F for 1 hour, until golden and bubbly.  Let cool 10 minutes before serving.

From Everday Food, October 2007

I would have liked someone to peel apples for me.  But it really didn't take that long.  I'm just impatient.  This is the first apple dessert that I made this fall.  It's a keeper.
The dish was very full.  I was afraid of boil-over, so the baking sheet was just as well.  The apples cook down, though, as does the topping.  There was no boil-over.
Just an amazing smelling dessert.  J isn't huge on fruit, but even he seemed excited to try this.  It was worth the wait.
The suggestion in the magazine was to serve this warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.  I would highly recommend this option.  We reheated on subsequent evenings and topped with ice cream again.  Perfect for fall, and perfect for dessert.  Thanks Martha.

No comments:

Post a Comment