Background

Monday, March 23, 2015

Souper Sunday: Southwestern Bean Chowder

So.
The good thing about February being hellacold is that that there was lots of opportunity to eat great soups.  Just as well that I got a new soup cookbook for Christmas!  I went looking for something interesting one Sunday afternoon as I discovered how many things I didn't have in my pantry.
Perhaps the good thing about a lack of things that I think I have/can get easily is that I'll try things outside of my comfort zone.  This soup is a case in point.  Normally, I wouldn't think of making a meatless soup, nor one with quite as many beans.  But the picture was pretty, and I had everything to make it.
So on a cold afternoon, I set out to make a soup that would warm us and keep us going in a never-ending winter.
I present to you now Juli Meyers of Hinesville, Georgia's Southwestern Bean Chowder:

Ingredients:
2 cans white kidney beans, drained and rinsed and divided
1 medium onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 Tbsp oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 c broth
1-1/2 c frozen corn
1 medium carrot, shredded
1 can chopped green chilies
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
4-1/2 tsp cornstarch
2 c milk
1 c old cheddar cheese, shredded

Method:
1.  Mash half of the kidney beans, reserving rest.
2. In a Dutch oven, heat oil and saute onion, garlic and celery until soft.  Stir in mashed beans, broth, corn, carrot, chilies, cumin and chili powder.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
3.  Combine cornstarch and milk, stirring until smooth.  Stir into soup, bring to a boil, and stir until thickened.  Stir in cheese and stir until melted.  Serve with additional cheese.

From Taste of Home (I have this cookbook)
I was surprised by the use of shredded carrot, but it was nice.  Frankly, the whole soup was thick and satisfying.  It also made a ton.  Just as well it was yummy.
Not as spicy as I'd expected, but that didn't really deter us. And, it was even better as leftovers.  We got 8 servings out of this, so leftovers were important.  With the garlic rolls from the Secret Recipe Club this month, it was a lovely dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment