Background

Monday, January 6, 2014

Magazine Challenge? Steakhouse Spinach Salad

So.
This started out as a Magazine Challenge recipe that took on a life of its own.  While the bones are the same, I added a couple of things that I think improved the salad.
I like serving dinner salads.  J enjoys a variety of vegetables, and I like the one plate complete meal idea.  I also am more prone to eat more vegetables when they are presented in dinner form like this.  While many of the salads that I find recipes for use different lettuces as a base, I almost always reach for baby spinach.  There's more fiber, more colour, and a sturdier leaf with baby spinach.  It also holds up well to a dressing with lots of flavour.
That's what we're about around here.  Lots of flavour.
This was originally in the December 2005 Everyday Food Cooking for One section as the Chili-Rubbed Steak and Salad.  I present to you now the Steakhouse Spinach Salad:


Ingredients:
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground coriander
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2-6 oz steaks (I used one large, about 1-1/2" thick and split it for the 2 servings)
1/2 medium red onion, sliced thinly
8 radishes, sliced thinly
8 oz baby spinach
2 oz blue cheese, crumbled

Method:
1.  Make the dressing:  combine 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp coriander, garlic, mustard, oil and vinegar in a large bowl.  Stir well with a fork to combine.
2.  Use the remaining chili powder and coriander to rub on the steak.  Grill steak to medium rare.
3.  While the steak grills, toss spinach, onions and radishes with dressing. 
4.  Make a bed with the salad on 2 plates, top with grilled steak and sprinkle with blue cheese before serving.
Adapted from Everyday Food, December 2005

 I don't often buy and use radishes.  It's not that I don't like them, I just...don't.  They were a nice, peppery addition to this salad.
Then you make an attractive bed for your grilled steak.
Until you end up with something that looks like this.  I didn't take a picture with the cheese.  Maybe I was too busy licking the crumbles off my fingers, maybe I was just too ready to eat.  You'll have to trust me about them.  But they were great.  And so was this salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment