Background

Monday, February 25, 2013

Got Milk?

So.
I grew up in a house where there were always cookies in the cookie jar.  A smiling Friar Tuck stood on our counter with "Thou Shalt Not Steal" emblazoned into the hem of his ceramic cowl.  My mother has a big sweet tooth, and one of the first things that I got to make all on my own was chocolate chip cookies.
I have a cookie jar, but it has snowmen on it, and it spends most of the year (if not all of it) in a box on a shelf in the basement.  I don't often bake things like cookies simply because then they're around the house begging to be eaten.  But in the name of recipes for the Magazine Challenge, and the fact that I had a full bag of chocolate chips in the cupboard, I decided to make these cookies.  We'll even call them healthy with the addition of raisins.
I present to you now Chocolate-raisin Oatmeal Cookies from the January/February 2005 issue of Everyday Food:


Ingredients:
1-1/2 c all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 c butter, softened
3/4 c brown sugar, packed
3/4 c white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2-1/2 c rolled oats
1-1/2 c raisins
1 package chocolate chips

Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 375F.  In a medium bowl, stir together flour, salt and soda.  Set aside.
2.  Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy.  Add eggs and vanilla, beating until combined.  Scrape down sides of bowl as needed.
3.  Add flour mixture and beat until just combined.  Add oats, raisins and chocolate chips, beat until just combined.
4.  Drop by tablespoon-full onto baking sheets.  Bake 10-12 minutes, until cookies have spread and are golden brown.  Cool 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
(Makes 4 dozen)
From Jan/Feb EDF 2005

I hadn't had my KitchenAid out in ages.  It was looking a little dusty.  But I have plans for the next little bit.  Oh yes.
Once the oats were added to the dough, it was pretty stiff.  I found my usual rubber scraper useless for incorporating the chocolate chips and raisins.  My giant wooden spoon was far superior.
Martha says she got 32 cookies.  I got 50.  I don't know if I just believe in smaller cookies so I can eat more in one sitting, or I just want to be able to eat cookies longer, but I don't think mine were particularly small.  And 10 minutes was sufficient to bake them through.
I mean, with something like this still warm and ready to go, who doesn't want a glass of milk?

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE chocolate chip cookies. LOVE. Well most cookies, really. The best I've ever made were the famed NYT chocolate chip cookies where you age the dough for like 48 hours or something. Awesome. Closely followed by some I found on Pinterest with Reece's Pieces and pudding mix. MMMMMM. But like you, they are dangerous in my path and so I do not make them often!!

    ReplyDelete