Background

Friday, August 3, 2012

Go To Meal: Crockpot Lasagna

So.
We've established that I'm a control freak, and that I have issues getting dinner on the table, even in summer apparently.  As a result, it's nice to have things that are simple, last a few days, and are delicious.  Bonus points if my husband can start them and have dinner ready when I get home.
Here is a case in point.  If the crockpot is ready, he can plug it in and make sure dinner's ready for us.  I'm always on the search for new recipes for the crockpot that are good, easy. and look appetizing.  Sometimes, I find the chicken rubbery, the roasts all taste the same, and everything's brown.  This is not one of those recipes.  It comes out perfectly every time.  And like a real lasagna, the first slice or two always looks, in the inimitable words of my mother, predigested.  There's an image you want to think about while reading about food.  Yeah.  Moving on.
This originally came from What's Cooking, the Kraft magazine.  I've made it with beef, but the pictures here are the one I made while cleaning out my freezer, so it's made with 1 lb bulk sausage.  It was good too.
I present to you now Kraft's Crockpot Lasagna:




In a large frying pan, brown 1 lb ground beef and drain well.  Add 1 can spaghetti sauce (I like PC roasted garlic, but anything will work), and 1 c of water.  In a separate bowl, combine 1 container cottage cheese, 1 egg, and 1-1/2 c shredded mozarella (I like the 4 cheese Italiano blend, but that's me).  I also add some dried herbs, usually a pesto mix.
In the bottom of your crockpot, pour 1 cup of sauce.  Layer 3 lasagna noodles over, breaking to fit (I love not having to cook the noodles.  Then again, I don't cook them when I make traditional lasagna either).  Layer with half the cheese mixture, and half the remaining sauce.  Continue to layer, finishing with sauce.
Cook on low, 4-6 hours, until noodles are tender.  Sprinkle with 1/2 c mozzarella cheese and replace lid until cheese is melted.
Serves 6-8.

Those servings are generous.  J and I get usually 3.5 to 4 meals out of it, and he's a big eater.  Forgiving and delicious.  Yum.



1 comment:

  1. Hey great slow cooker dish! This week's Food on Friday on Carole's Chatter is all about collecting up slow cooker/crockpot recipes. It would be great if you linked this in. This is the link . Have a good week.
    Ps I haven't seen your follow back yet. Do you follow via GFC or some other way?

    ReplyDelete