Background

Thursday, July 28, 2016

#BookClubCookbookCC: Lemon Chicken and Orzo

So.
It's the last month of the #BookClubCookbookCC project!  I've so enjoyed working with the other bloggers and especially Camilla of Culinary Adventures with Camilla who spearheaded this project!  This month, Camilla hosted, and she invited us to make Greek food and read Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres.


Once again, I haven't read the book.  For whatever reason, there's been a run on the copy at my local library.  I am currently third on the waiting list.  I was fifth when I went to reserve the book.  But I can make Greek inspired food.  We love Greek food.
I'm always looking for new 1 pot meals that go together fast and are delicious.  This one fits the bill.  J and I loved it.  It also comes from one of my favourite sources for recipes, Budget Bytes.  With lemon and feta cheese, it's reminiscent of all the great flavours of Greek food.
I present to you now from Budget Bytes Lemon Pepper Chicken with Orzo:

Ingredients:
4 chicken thighs (I used bone-in, skin on)
5 tsp lemon pepper seasoning, divided
1 Tbsp oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2-1/2 c chicken broth
4 Tbsp dried parsley (I used Gourmet Garden's lightly dried parsley)
1-1/2 c orzo pasta
2 oz feta cheese, crumbled

Method:
1.  Season chicken thighs with about 1 tsp lemon pepper seasoning per thigh.
2.  In a large skillet with a lid, heat oil until shimmering hot.  Add and cook chicken thighs, skin side down first, and allow to cook until browned on both sides, about 5 mintues per side.  Remove cooked thighs to a clean plate.
3.  Turn heat to low.  Add garlic and saute until fragrant.  Add chicken broth and stir to release browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
4.  Add about half the parsley to the skillet, with an additional teaspoon of lemon pepper seasoning.  Add orzo to the skillet, stir to combine, and then add the chicken thighs, skin side up.
5.  Cover skillet and bring to a boil.  Lower heat and allow to simmer for 10-12 minutes, until orzo is tender.  Sprinkle with remaining parsley and feta before serving.
From Budget Bytes

 It's not often I make bone-in chicken.  J has a hard time dealing with the bones.  But they're so much cheaper than boneless.  I decided to go with it for this recipe, and I wasn't disappointed.
I hadn't cooked orzo before, but this was a great starch with the chicken.  I like other Budget Bytes recipes, the pasta cooked with the protein in broth is so good.

Just nestle the chicken in, cover and cook.  Something I can set on the stove and let go is great too.  Dinner in 30 minutes!  Perfect for when I'm working!

And with a little feta, we're ready to eat.  This was delicious.  J and I both enjoyed it.  Both times I've made it.









Thanks Cam, for a wonderful year of literature and food!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great Sarah and I have never heard of Budget Bites...on the way to check it out. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fantastic, Sarah! Thank for joining me in this year-long journey. It's been so much fun.

    ReplyDelete