Background

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Grillmistress: Cheeseburger Kebabs

So.
We had a big pool party last weekend for some of my friends from when I was in Youth Group.  Yep, I've known a good number of the people who were here since I was 4.  We ate way too much, swam away the afternoon and caught up.  J and I host this once a year, and it's always so much fun.  One of the biggest deals this year was that we went out and bought a new tank of propane.
When my mom came in June, we set up to BBQ, got halfway through cooking the steak, and ran out of propane.  We then neglected to buy more for a month.  I know.  Have indoor grill, be lazy.  But with 25 people and a freezer full of burgers and hot dogs, the Foreman was not going to cut it and we got a new tank.  
What this means is that we're back to grilling in the great outdoors when the weather is good.  Just as well.  I found these little beauties on Pinterest or Twitter, and decided that I needed to try them myself.  It was a good need.  These are great.
I present to you now from Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen Cheeseburger Kebabs:
Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
1/2 Spanish Onion, quartered and divided into 3 pieces per quarter
8 slices of pickle (I used my own dill pickles, sliced thinly)
2 slices of cheese, quartered (I used cheddar)
8 cocktail tomatoes (I looked for walnut sized tomatoes, and cut a couple of large ones in half)
Seasoning (I used Caribeque's Island Thyme)

Method:
1.  If using bamboo skewers, soak for at least 30 minutes.  Otherwise, you will need 4 skewers.
2.  Divide ground beef into 8 equal pieces, and form into meatballs.  Season well with salt and pepper or other seasoning mix.
3.  Thread meatballs, pickles, onions and tomatoes on skewers.  I started and ended with onion and made a palindrome out of my ingredients.  (Yes, I'm a math geek...)
4.  Preheat grill.  Grill well on all sides until meatballs are cooked through and vegetables are blistered.  During the last 2 minutes of cooking, top the meatballs with cheese and close the grill to allow the cheese to melt slightly.
Adapted from Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen

There's dinner in a picture!  I had issues with  1 meatball falling off the skewer.  I got everything ready for the grill before I went out so I had my plate of cheese for the end and everything else ready to go.
Just a little pickle.  I wasn't really sure what a grill would do to it, so I was hesitant.  It's all good.  Next time, more pickle!
And here they are, ready to eat!  J and I were both really happy with these - happy enough to say more pickle and we need to eat these again before the end of the summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment