Background

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Mardi Gras: Carrot Cake Pancakes

So.
Today is Pancake Day.  It is now 6 weeks to Easter, and I don't think I'm giving up anything for Lent.  Seeing as this is the first that I've even thought about it, I don't think I am giving up anything; other than perhaps winning on Roll up the Rim.
I decided that this year for Pancake Day that I would make a new recipe, and I went looking through my pins to find something interesting.  I found these.  They were even labelled "healthy".
Carrot cake is one of my favourite cakes.  The pineapple, the nuts, the cream cheese icing...so good.  While it is so good, it's also not really a breakfast option, nor the healthiest thing to eat on a regular basis.  Frankly, pancakes aren't really something to eat on a regular basis either.  But seeing as Marketplace announced that Nutella was akin to spreading candy on toast, pancakes can't be that bad...especially when you don't have the stuff in the house to make the cream cheese glaze.
Besides...I didn't have ground flax either.
I present to you now my take on Amy's Cooking Adventure Carrot Cake Pancakes:

Ingredients:
1-1/2 c flour
1/4 wheat germ
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1-1/3 c milk
1/2 c pureed carrots
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp honey
1/2 c chopped pecans
Method:
1.  In a medium bowl, stir together flour, germ, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.  In a second bowl, combine eggs, milk, carrots, vanilla and honey.  Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients.  Fold in nuts.
2.  Over medium heat, heat a skillet.  Wipe with melted butter before pouring cakes of about 3 tablespoons (just under 1/4 cup).  Cook on one side until bubbles hold on the surface.  Flip and cook until golden.

From Amy's Cooking Adventures

These may be not the best pictures.  They're from my first batch, where I discovered that I am incapable of reading.  I missed the baking powder and the honey.  Although when I tasted the batter and realized that they needed sweetener, the 2 Tbsp of sugar I added fixed the taste.  They didn't rise though.  The second batch was much better.  Just as well I pureed my own carrots - I made enough for 2 batches.

But don't they look lovely?  I put the nuts into them because carrot cake isn't carrot cake without nuts.  Next time, I'd like to add raisins.  Just an extra burst of sweetness.  Perfect for your next Pancake Day.  Or birthday.  Or Wednesday.  Your call.

No comments:

Post a Comment