Background

Friday, March 1, 2013

Magazine Challenge: Fish Tacos

So.
In my quest for new ways to eat fish, I'm always on the lookout for new recipes.  While flipping through the Jan/Feb issue of Everyday Food for 2005, I came across this recipe for fish tacos.
I like tacos, and I don't mind tilapia, so this seemed like a decent candidate for something that would make both J and I happy.
Despite Martha's assertion that this would take about 45 minutes to make, I didn't find it that long to put together.  In fact, I started cooking at about 7:05 and we were eating just after 7:30.  We're late eaters.  But, it went together quickly on a work night and had lots of flavour.
I present to you now Everyday Food's Fish Tacos:


Ingredients:
1/4 c sour cream
2 Tbsp lime juice
salt and pepper
2-1/2 c coleslaw mix
3 green onions, chopped
1 jalapeno chile, halved lengthwise, one half minced
2 Tbsp oil
8 oz tilapia, cut into 8 equal pieces
4 flour tortillas

Method:
1.  In a large bowl, combine sour cream and lime juice.  Transfer half the mixture to a smaller bowl and reserve.  Toss coleslaw mix, minced jalapeno and green onions with remaining sour cream and lime juice.
2.  In a large skillet, heat oil and the jalapeno half.  Swirl to coat the pan, and then add seasoned fish.  Cook until golden, about 5  minutes.
3.  To make the tacos, fill tortillas with coleslaw mixture and fish.  Drizzle with reserved sour cream.
Adapted from Everyday Food Jan/Feb 2005
So, the recipe called for cabbage.  But I'm not a fan of pure cabbage.  So we used broccoli slaw.  I made the full slaw recipe and split it between the tortillas.  It has a wonderful, fresh flavour.  I loved the lime.
 I'm sure the jalapeno added a little something to the fish.  The whole taco had a little kick, but nothing crazy.  I felt odd discarding the half pepper at the end though.
J and I were both pleased with the final product.  I'm thinking that it will be in rotation again.  I took pictures of the final product with no sour cream on it so you could see the fish.
But these were yummy and quick.  A win for fish, I would say.

No comments:

Post a Comment