Background

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Year's Brunch: Baked Egg Boats

So.
Yesterday was New Year's Day, a day on the mountain where J and I wear pajamas all day, eat yummy things, pack the Christmas decorations, and watch college football until our eyes fall out.  Did I mention that there's too much to eat?
This year, I planned to serve brunch, a baked cheese dip mid-afternoon, and black bean and steak wraps for dinner.  The wraps were the healthy part of the day with trimmed sliced steak, homemade unfried refried beans in whole wheat tortillas.  The brunch part of the day, not so much.  I planned to serve fruit with these boats, but I didn't wash it so we didn't eat it.
The boats, however, disappeared quickly with cups of coffee from my new Keurig, a Christmas present from J.  I liked the idea of quiche in bread.  I made another quiche filling that was delicious.  I also learned that I am a poor judge of when eggs are cooked in the oven.  Sigh.  We start, however with this
How can you go wrong when there's bacon?  I present to you now spoon fork bacon's Baked Egg Boats:


Ingredients
2 demi baguettes or hard crusted submarine rolls
3 eggs
3 Tbsp heavy cream
4 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled
2 oz grated Gruyere
2 green onions, chopped

Method
1.  Cut a deep V in both of the rolls, removing a piece of the crust and a portion of the innards.  You want to make space for the stuff you're about to pour into the bread.  Make breadcrumbs with what you pull out.
2.  Beat eggs and cream together before adding bacon, onions and cheese.  Stir to coat everything with egg.
3.  Place rolls on a baking sheet.  Divide mixture evenly between the rolls.
4.  Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 F, until browned and set in the centre.  Check the edges for liquid as well.
5.  Let set for 5 minutes before cutting.
Adapted from spoon fork bacon
I used a spoon to divide the cheese mixture, then poured the egg over everything.  You could see the bread absorbing everything as I poured it in.










Here it is baked.  I waited the 5 minutes, sliced, and had egg ooze out.  Sigh.  Back to the oven it went for another 5 minutes.  I totally suck at quiche fillings.
But the second time around, they were done, and quite delicious.  J wanted to know when I'd make them again.  Seeing as I have bacon in the fridge and green onions in the crisper, I'd say soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment